Select to view content in your preferred language

definition of pipe | and single quote '

Jump to solution
05-01-2023 09:58 AM
DrMichaelMartin
New Contributor

Hi All, I was wondering if anyone might be able to help understand a pretty basic operator question about CGA.

I've searched the documentation but I don't seem to be able to find a place in the CGA docs for what the pipe character: | and the single quote: ' do? I can see how they are being used but a specific definition eludes me.

Thanks!

- Michael 

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JonasObertuefer
Esri Contributor

Hi @DrMichaelMartin,

Pipe is used to define multiple component or subdivision splits. Single quote is the relative operator for values to make them relative to the the current scope (See Coordinate Systems).

I suggest to read through the Essential Shape Operations section in the help, especially:

There are also many explanations and examples in the cga refererence for those operations:

Hope this helps,

Best
Jonas

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JonasObertuefer
Esri Contributor

Hi @DrMichaelMartin,

Pipe is used to define multiple component or subdivision splits. Single quote is the relative operator for values to make them relative to the the current scope (See Coordinate Systems).

I suggest to read through the Essential Shape Operations section in the help, especially:

There are also many explanations and examples in the cga refererence for those operations:

Hope this helps,

Best
Jonas

0 Kudos
DrMichaelMartin
New Contributor

Thanks Jonas, That does help! Still getting my head around the CGA paradigm after living in OOP for a long time. 

Best,

- Michael 

0 Kudos
JonasObertuefer
Esri Contributor

I see where you are coming from. What helped me personally to advance is reading through the CGA modeling section in the help (where I put some links in the previous post) and look at existing rules in examples/tutorials/ESRI.lib with the Model Hierarchy and most importantly start to write some actual rules by myself.

0 Kudos