"Workspace in use" error

Jump to solution
11-15-2023 08:19 AM
Jim_Riedmann
New Contributor II

I have City Engine 2022.1  I recently installed it and have not used it.  When I start it I get this message: "Workspace in use.  Cannot obtain lock for workspace."

What is it talking about?  What is it looking for?  Is it in conflict with other software?  How does it define a workspace?  How can I get such an error when the software is brand new and I haven't done anything with it yet?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JonasObertuefer
Esri Contributor

Hi @Jim_Riedmann,

In Short: The workspace is a specific folder on your filesystem where CityEngine stores projects and settings. CityEngine keeps track of all files/folder in that workspace while running. It would cause issues when another instance of CityEngine would use the same workspace at the same time, that's why there is a locking mechanism.

But this message should not appear after a fresh install. I can only imagine that the default workspace (which CityEngine creates at startup when there is no existing one) is somehow corrupted.

I suggest you to delete the default workspace and then try to start CityEngine again. The default workspace is usually located under:

C:\Users\<username>\Documents\CityEngine\

If that does not help the next step would be to also delete the CityEngine Profile which is stored under:

C:\Users\<username>\.CityEngine

Let me know if this works.

Best,
Jonas

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JonasObertuefer
Esri Contributor

Hi @Jim_Riedmann,

In Short: The workspace is a specific folder on your filesystem where CityEngine stores projects and settings. CityEngine keeps track of all files/folder in that workspace while running. It would cause issues when another instance of CityEngine would use the same workspace at the same time, that's why there is a locking mechanism.

But this message should not appear after a fresh install. I can only imagine that the default workspace (which CityEngine creates at startup when there is no existing one) is somehow corrupted.

I suggest you to delete the default workspace and then try to start CityEngine again. The default workspace is usually located under:

C:\Users\<username>\Documents\CityEngine\

If that does not help the next step would be to also delete the CityEngine Profile which is stored under:

C:\Users\<username>\.CityEngine

Let me know if this works.

Best,
Jonas

0 Kudos
Jim_Riedmann
New Contributor II

Thank you for the excellent information.  We also had a problem with the licensing file.  I reinstalled City Engine and we fixed the licensing problem.  After that the message about the locked workspace went away.  I'm guessing the default workspace was properly configured the second time around.  It looks like I indirectly took your advice.  Thanks for being so alert, I greatly appreciate your willingness to help.

0 Kudos
JonasObertuefer
Esri Contributor

I am glad you where able to resolve the issue! I wish you a good start with CityEngine 🙂

0 Kudos