Error during Sync from iPad to ArcGIS online via collector app

Jump to solution
03-24-2014 02:27 PM
TinaKwitkoski
Occasional Contributor
I have a question, I just started using Collector for ArcGIS recently and I downloaded my data to be offline on my iPad since I would not be WIFI. Now when I go to sync back to my ArcGIS online account I get the error message in the attachment. I am not sure how to fix this or what is causing this to happen. Any suggestions on how to get my data back into the online environment?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
51 Replies
AndrewMaracini
New Contributor
Do you know roughly the size of the amount of data you are trying to sync? We have an issue with Android with syncing larger amounts of data and it will be fixed in our upcoming update.

Russ

Well there are 19 total edits and if I check the app properties it says there is 96KB of data which certainly doesn't seem like much to me.
0 Kudos
AndrewMaracini
New Contributor
Well there are 19 total edits and if I check the app properties it says there is 96KB of data which certainly doesn't seem like much to me.

Russ, I'm trying to use the script. I went to the specified folder on the device and I see no geodatabase? See attachment. I went into each sub folder and there are no geodatabases present.
0 Kudos
LukeBehling
Occasional Contributor
Andy,
Are you using corporate wireless access? If so, we had a similar problem early on with the collector. Our IT had to 'loosen' up the restrictions it had on ArcGIS Online. They also had to adjust a timeout to allow consisten use of our REST services. I couldn't tell you how they did it exactly, but it resolved that problem.
0 Kudos
AndrewMaracini
New Contributor
Andy,
Are you using corporate wireless access? If so, we had a similar problem early on with the collector. Our IT had to 'loosen' up the restrictions it had on ArcGIS Online. They also had to adjust a timeout to allow consisten use of our REST services. I couldn't tell you how they did it exactly, but it resolved that problem.

Hi Luke, Yes I am using corp. wireless. I'll check w/ our IT. Thanks!! Just curious about how "big" of a data sync are you guys doing? ESRI says they suspect a bug for large syncs but it doesn't seem like I should be hitting that wall with less than 20 edits to sync.
0 Kudos
LukeBehling
Occasional Contributor
I haven't had anything more than about 2 or 3 edits and photos using an Android device. However, we have an Iphone5(?) and a number of Ipads now doing anything from 1 to 2 edits to over 50 with photos (Land Con is using for legal drain and stream inventory, so lots of pix) a day and they are not having problems with the synch anymore. The major problem we have (as referenced in other threads) is that after a period of time we can no longer edit the features while in connected mode - offline works great.
0 Kudos
FayeWyatt
New Contributor III
Hello,

Unfortunately I am having sync issues again, I recreated my map using clean data and ensuring that all the capabilities etc were correct, and I took it out into the field. I collected 83 points on one map, 5 on another  using an android tablet and 13 on an iphone (better camera). The iphone syncd everything fine, as did the map with only 5 data collections on an Android tablet. The map with 83 data collections ( many of which had attachments) syncd 40 of the 83 data points. There is no error message, and again everything looks like it worked fine, but when I refresh the screen the sync button says sync(43) and a lot of data is mission from the AGISOL map. This isn't a new feature collection, but rather going to locations and updating attributes and taking pictures. Is there any way that I can get this data that is currently trapped on the Android tablet?

Many thanks

Faye
0 Kudos
PamTurner
New Contributor III

Any luck on this? I'm trying to sync 100 points that were edited with an iPad using offline editing. All of the features have attachments and the python script won't work. It's giving me errors that there are multiple OIDs with the same value.

Any insights?

Thanks.

Pam

0 Kudos
SarahBreaks
New Contributor

I have ran into a couple problems with the Collector app. We have two field crews using iPads to collect features for the same maps. There is an older map and a newer updated map. When I created the new map, I disabled editing on the old one with the intention that the field crews would only reference it and collect with the new one. Oddly, one crew can still collect and sync with this old map and have done so several times. The other crew has a new iPad now and needs to be able to download the old map to reference, but it can no longer be downloaded to their iPad because the editing was disabled. I cannot seem to enable editing again, and I don't know why. The features are editable. Any ideas?

I am also having trouble syncing on of our iPads to ArcGIS Online. It currently has 223 features that our field crew collected waiting to be synced. We haven't had any issues syncing until now, and other iPads/iPhones are syncing the same map just fine. This is a more pressing issue to us and I am worried we are going to lose this data. Is there anything I can try to get the iPad to sync? I have closed and reopened the app, restarted the iPad, and checked all the settings for the map on ArcGIS Online. Once the error message said "error at beginning of token" or something along those lines, bu most often it says "request timed out".

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide!

0 Kudos
Marion_CountyAuditor
New Contributor III

I am having the exact same problem. We are using iPads and the collector app in the field, and need to take photos. I tested the app out by syncing 5 photo attachments and it worked fine. Now we have one map with 120 photo attachments and another with 50 photo attacments that need synced and they both bomb out every time. The error says the sync timed out.

0 Kudos
PamTurner
New Contributor III

This might help you. I was never able to get our data to sync back to the map. Tech support said they recommended less features be collected before each sync, which isn't always an option. Here's what I did to recover the data.

Steps:

1. Pull data file off of iPad using iTunes

2. Make backup copy. If you have a lot of pictures this can be large so make sure you have enough space. Our folder was about 3.5 gigabytes.

3. Download SQLite maestro or similar SQLite viewer

4. Query the duplicated records based on "gdb_from_date" and "gdb_to_date" fields.

5. Then use the python script referenced by Tech support to export the XML and load back to a geodatabase.

It's a workaround if you can't get the data to sync, but can be a bit tricky if you're not familiar with database management tools, so I'd recommend a backup first.

Hope that helps!

0 Kudos