Error during Sync from iPad to ArcGIS online via collector app

Jump to solution
03-24-2014 02:27 PM
TinaKwitkoski
Occasional Contributor
I have a question, I just started using Collector for ArcGIS recently and I downloaded my data to be offline on my iPad since I would not be WIFI. Now when I go to sync back to my ArcGIS online account I get the error message in the attachment. I am not sure how to fix this or what is causing this to happen. Any suggestions on how to get my data back into the online environment?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
51 Replies
Marion_CountyAuditor
New Contributor III

Thanks, Pam.

Actually, after posting this issue, I upgraded to ios 8, and plugged my iPad into my PC, and then tried to sync again. It worked! I think the issue for me is that the sync was timing out because of the auto shutoff feature on the iPad. Plugging the iPad into my PC seemed to keep the device from falling asleep during the sync. 

0 Kudos
SarahBreaks
New Contributor

I tried connecting our iPad to the PC and making sure it didn't go to sleep but it still won't work. The error I am getting now is always “Unable to synchronize replica. Sync replica internal error – {96BC51AA-3887-425F-A601-F245D9C9B67C}” (that last string of letters/numbers varies sometimes).

Elizabeth, when you upgraded to IOS 8, you didn't lose any of the unsynced features?

Pam thank you for posting that workaround. I will give that a try next..

0 Kudos
Marion_CountyAuditor
New Contributor III

Sarah,  I did not lose any features by upgrading. The ipad I have is relatively new - this was the first upgrade available since I've had it.

Gary, the background app refresh was enabled when I was getting the sync errors, but the auto lockout is set to 15 minutes.

0 Kudos
GaryMorris1
Occasional Contributor

If you're getting "Request timed out" it might be that Background App Refresh is disabled.  With long sync operations, Collector needs to be able to run in the background to complete the sync.  You can check this in the Settings app, under General, in Background App Refresh section.  Make sure it is enabled for Collector.

0 Kudos
NicholasMartin1
New Contributor II

I am having very similar syncing errors but not exactly the same error messages. We are collecting data with 2 field crews using iPads to collect features for the same map in offline mode. When we originally had only one feature layer that we added to the map, the features would sync, edit, and delete just fine. We added a second feature class to accommodate more features we missed on the first round. Syncing became more time consuming and the original features became unable to be edited and deleted. We also have another problem where the original features will not load but the new features will. One iPad has 95 features left to sync and the other has 78. Both encounter the same error message “The operation couldn’t be completed. (NSURLErrorDomain error - 1001.)” All of our features have attachments. We do not want to lose any of this data, and any thoughts/advice will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

That is a timeout error from the server. Do you have  a strong network connection? If you are syncing over wifi can you try syncing just one of the devices while close to the router.

Thanks

Russ

0 Kudos
NicholasMartin1
New Contributor II

Hi Russ,

The network connection problem was resolved and all the features uploaded. Is there any faster way to upload all these features from offline mode? And how do you correct the problem about not being able to edit and delete the original feature class?

Thanks

Nick

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

There currently is not a way to speed up the upload of features. We are looking into some enhancements we can make to how we manage attachments. I am not sure what you mean about editing/deleting the original feature class? If you enabled ownership based access controls on your feature service this is currently not supported in disconnected mode in 10.2.7 of Collector but it will be supported with the 10.3 release of Collector. If you are using an internal server you will have to use this with 10.3 ArcGIS Server feature service as well.

Russ

0 Kudos
CarynAshbay
New Contributor III

We are using Collector-disconnected to do sanitary sewer manhole inspections. 

The field guys get to the 9th inspection and they get an error "unable to save feature to device".  And then they lose all 9 inspections, even though after each of the 9 inspections it saved.  Makes me think the data is still on the tablet.

Does anyone know of a way to get saved information off our tablets without connecting to ArcGIS Online?  Hate to lose so much data!

0 Kudos
MuhammadAlmas1
New Contributor II

Has anyone resolved this issue ?

0 Kudos