External Bluetooth GPS Receiver

Jump to solution
01-17-2014 05:56 AM
mpboyle
Occasional Contributor III
Has anyone tried using an external bluetooth GPS receiver with Collector?  If so, how has it performed and what model/make is the receiver?  We're looking to get sub-meter accuracy using Collector and am curious if anyone has had success doing this.

Thanks in advance!
Tags (2)
64 Replies
MichaelDavis3

From what I've seen TerraGo doesn't offer support for external GPS units that is any better or worse than Esri's.  All the GPS units listed as supported on TerraGo's site will work with ANY iOS app because the GPS unit itself conforms to the MFI protocol for Bluetooth GPS.

What TerraGo doesn't mention is if they offer any sort of deeper integration with high-accuracy units (like being able to access PDOP, RMS Error, Sat info).  Collector doesn't support this at the moment either, but there are SDKs available from the manufacturers to add this to runtime apps, so I'm sure both TerraGo and Esri will be adding support at some point.

0 Kudos
RobertKnight
New Contributor II
In conjunction with one of our clients, we hope very soon to be testing out the Geneq iSXBlue II which has just gained Apple approvaland should deliver 30cm real-time accuracy. Goes on sale in the UK next month apparently. This along with the next release of Collector enabling off-line recording could be an interesting combination.

http://sxbluegps.com/home/geneq-introduces-sub-meter-gnss-receiver-for-the-apple-ipad-and-iphone/

Will let you know how we get on.

Rob Knight
www.salford-gis.co.uk
Thomas_JKukitz
New Contributor
Has anyone tried using an external bluetooth GPS receiver with Collector?  If so, how has it performed and what model/make is the receiver?  We're looking to get sub-meter accuracy using Collector and am curious if anyone has had success doing this.

Thanks in advance!

We just purchased a GENEQ SXBLUE II. I just received it yesterday. We are in the process of installing the app on our iPads. My email is tkukitz@cityftmyers.com. I will post info here when I find out how it works.
0 Kudos
MiaogengZhang
Esri Regular Contributor
We just purchased a GENEQ SXBLUE II. I just received it yesterday. We are in the process of installing the app on our iPads. My email is tkukitz@cityftmyers.com. I will post info here when I find out how it works.

Look forward to your result. I just met one customer during this week Developer Summit. He compared the result with their pre-surveyed points. They mentioned at least 3 feet accuracy.
0 Kudos
CraigClouet
New Contributor III
I have been testing a few of the Geneq blue, both the GNSS and II-B beacon model. Both are excellent and greatly increase the accuracy of the data collection. They also make repeat positioning a reality. I found that I could get meter - sub meter collections on a regular basis. I encourage people to give it a try.

Craig
GarrettMcKinney
New Contributor
I have a Bad Elf, but am unable to use it with the Collector App.  Can anyone provide a step by step?  I'm using an iPhone 4S running iOS 7.1.  I'm able to pair the GPS via bluetooth.  When I open the Collector App it still seems to be using my phone's Location Services and not the GPS.  If I turn off Location Services and maintain my bluetooth connection to the Bad Elf, Collector tells me it requires Location Services to be turned on.

Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
GaryMorris1
Occasional Contributor

We did test Collector (iOS) with Bad Elf and it does work.   We connected it using a 30-pin to Lightning adaptor, not Bluetooth, because we didn't have the BT version.  I don't have one right now so I can't give you the setup steps.

0 Kudos
GaryMorris1
Occasional Contributor

BTW, we were testing the Bad Elf on a WiFi only iPad (which has no GPS chip) and the iPad was reporting 5m accuracy. 

0 Kudos
PeterTimmers
I have been testing a few of the Geneq blue, both the GNSS and II-B beacon model. Both are excellent and greatly increase the accuracy of the data collection. They also make repeat positioning a reality. I found that I could get meter - sub meter collections on a regular basis. I encourage people to give it a try.

Craig

Are you saying the Geneq blue worked with Collector?
Has anyone tried the Garmin GLO Bluetooth?
0 Kudos
JohnMcLellan
New Contributor
I have a Bad Elf, but am unable to use it with the Collector App.  Can anyone provide a step by step?  I'm using an iPhone 4S running iOS 7.1.  I'm able to pair the GPS via bluetooth.  When I open the Collector App it still seems to be using my phone's Location Services and not the GPS.  If I turn off Location Services and maintain my bluetooth connection to the Bad Elf, Collector tells me it requires Location Services to be turned on.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Garrett,

This is John over at Bad Elf Support; I was pointed to the issue you were having earlier today by another user and I wanted to drop you a note.  In short - You shouldn't be having any problem, Collector works great with our line of products. 

One thing I noted in your post that needs to be cleared up is what Location Services actually does.  You should think of this as a valve allowing any positional data regardless of source to flow between the operating system and an app.  If this is set to OFF either globally or specifically to an individual app ... the data stream is turned off. This needs to be set ON in both places ...in iOS7 it's found under SETTINGS > PRIVACY > LOCATION SERVICES

If you want to localize the data stream from the PRO we can do this:
- Under SETTINGS turn Airplane Mode ON - this turns off the internal GPS antennae, WIFI, BlueTooth, and 3/4G connection (if available
- Now Toggle Bluetooth back to an ON position ... the PRO is the only source for positional data. 
(for non-elfers out there - this will work for any BT GPS receiver, we're just minimizing data sources).  

Garrett, if you still need help - Please drop us a line at support@bad-elf.com it's what we are here for.

Best,
John Mc.