External Bluetooth GPS Receiver

Jump to solution
01-17-2014 05:56 AM
mpboyle
Occasional Contributor III
Has anyone tried using an external bluetooth GPS receiver with Collector?  If so, how has it performed and what model/make is the receiver?  We're looking to get sub-meter accuracy using Collector and am curious if anyone has had success doing this.

Thanks in advance!
Tags (2)
64 Replies
MichaelDavis3

We've got 2 iSXBlue II units out in the field this summer - so far we've been seeing ~0.7m accuracy.  Since it uses SBAS I was worried we would loose the correction signal when we got too far north (survey running up to the North Slope in Alaska) but so far no issues.  

JonHeartMaps
New Contributor II

Hi Craig,

We are having trouble connecting the iSXBlue II to our Trimble Juno.  Do you have the pairing process documented?

Thanks, Jon

0 Kudos
AnthonyBurgon
New Contributor III

This guy works pretty easily - https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/oem/sensors-and-boards/glo-/prod109827.html

Only tested with iPad/iPhone with Collector

0 Kudos
PeterTimmers

I agree with Anthony above, the Garmin GLO has been working a treat on our iPad minis with Collector 10.2.4.

0 Kudos
AnthonyBurgon
New Contributor III

Also tested with the Garmin Fenix 2 - works really well... Though need to try some long hikes in varying terrains/tree cover to see how it performs.

0 Kudos
AzwanKhalid1
New Contributor

What kind of accuracy were you getting?

0 Kudos
AzwanKhalid1
New Contributor

What kind of accuracy were you getting?

0 Kudos
CraigClouet
New Contributor III

Every external GNSS unit will have different levels of accuracy. See what the venders are reporting on accuracy, but also collect some data on NGS control points or survey control to see what you are collecting. In addition, depending if you have access to SBAS, accuracies vary. With the SX Blue and SBAS I was recording submeter data. Better yet is that the lines are very straight, and the data collection accuracy is repeatable.

0 Kudos
AndrewMoffitt

Which OmniSTAR service were you using?  (If you were)

0 Kudos
AndrewMoffitt

Ignore me.  You said SBAS.

0 Kudos