Update on Collector and Offline Use

01-09-2014 10:42 AM
KeithAubin
New Contributor III
I've read that offline use is coming to Collector at some point. I was looking to see if there has been any progress on this issue. This lack of offline capabilities is the major issue that is preventing our organization from deploying Collector in the field as we are often in rural areas. We need the ability to cache basemap data as well as features from our ArcGIS Server and/or ArcGIS Online.

My company is currently deciding which Android based data collection tool we want to pursue. Collector would be the most ideal since it ties in nicely with ArcGIS Serve, but the lack of offline capabilities simply is a deal breaker. We need to know if it's worth the wait or if we should continue to pursue alternatives such as GISCloud, Mapwith.us or just develop our own in house solution.

I would really appreciate some information about how you plan on implementing offline capabilities for Collector.

1) When offline use does come how will it work? Will it cache basemap titles as well as editable features from the map?

2) How will it work in terms of what is cached? Would I draw a box around the area I want cached and it downloads all the corresponding data. Or do I select which layers are to be cached?

3) If it does cache basemap layers will it cache all view levels or would I select which view levels to cache.

Thanks for your time. If you'd like a guinea pig to help test out features in Collector I'd certainly be interested in providing feedback. My organization does a lot of complex field data collection and Collector really has the potential to dramatically streamline the process.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
16 Replies
AllisonMead
New Contributor

Hey Keith,

I'm trying to pair my android phone with an external GPS, but it seems that collector keeps using the internal GPS instead. Any advice?

0 Kudos
TysonJohnston
Occasional Contributor
Yeah, same boat here. Need to upgrade ArcGIS Server to 10.2.2. We should get to that in the next week or two. I'll keep you all posted on how it works out.

We have some Nexus 7 tablets paired with bluetooth Trimble GPS receivers. We are really hoping this is going to be the sub meter near real-time field survey tool of the future. If online use works as advertised some smarter/dynamic forms are next on my wishlist.

How are you getting Server 10.2.2 so soon?
0 Kudos
AdrianMarsden
Occasional Contributor III
How are you getting 10.2.2?

By waiting until April when it is released 😞
0 Kudos
KeithAubin
New Contributor III
How are you getting 10.2.2?

Sorry I got my versions mixed up. I meant to say 10.2.1, we are still on an older version.

Wait a minute, so this offline functionality does not work with ArcGIS server 10.2.1 we need to wait for 10.2.2?!? I thought we just need to update ArcGIS Server to 10.2.1. Is that really the case ESRI?

I did not read the above post close enough., this is a real bummer.
0 Kudos
AdrianMarsden
Yep -  "One or more feature layers that are sync-enabled. These can be hosted feature layers or ArcGIS 10.2.2 Server or later feature services. "

I got offline working today by adding a feature layer to my ArcGIS.com account and using their basemaps, but to get it all the way back to your server and your SDE your need 10.2.2 - which isn't out yet!
0 Kudos
KeithAubin
New Contributor III
Yep -  "One or more feature layers that are sync-enabled. These can be hosted feature layers or ArcGIS 10.2.2 Server or later feature services. "

I got offline working today by adding a feature layer to my ArcGIS.com account and using their basemaps, but to get it all the way back to your server and your SDE your need 10.2.2 - which isn't out yet!

Wow, amazing. We'll get there eventually, but apparently not just yet. I guess there is not much point in upgrading our server to 10.2.1, might as well just wait for 10.2.2

In the mean time I'll test out the functionality using ArcGIS.com....
0 Kudos
AdrianMarsden
Indeed - I wish someone else had found this out first.  I did my upgrade to 10.2.1 at the weekend - I looked at what was coming in 10.2.2 and decided to go for it as the Help seems to indicate this feature is for 10.2.1 - but the server online notes already includes stuff for 10.2.2!

Plus, when you go to 10.2.1 you do actually get the option to allow "sync" in the Feature Access setting of the service - so what is all that about if you can't do it from the Esri supplied app until 10.2.2!
0 Kudos