Allow Operations Dashboard URL parameter to SELECT (not filter)

01-06-2020 05:30 AM
ChelseaRozek
MVP Regular Contributor

Currently, the URL parameter in Operations Dashboard will filter the category selector. When I pass param=City of Saline, I get:

This renders the dashboard mostly useless. Users cannot navigate between the rest of the municipalities themselves.

Please also allow the option to simply select that choice instead of filtering out all the rest so it would look more like this with the rest of the choices still there:

Original Post: can Dashboard URL parameter select (not filter) category selector? 

19 Comments
ChelseaRozek

Unfortunately, this is still happening in the new ArcGIS Dashboards. I used a URL parameter to go straight to the Fourth Floor, however, now all the other floors are missing from the category selector.

using URL parameter:

ChelseaRozek_0-1643724973963.png

normal appearance:

ChelseaRozek_1-1643725028699.png

PhilipShutler

Just upvoted! I would love a "select" option as well in the Parameters option as @CCRC_Mapping posted. There also needs to be an option to bypass the "none" selection in a category selector.  

Yann-EricBoyeau

Hello, this feature would be so helpful to open a dashboard and display data for a specific category !

Filtering categories by url parameter is not really useful.

We need a "select categories" by Url Parameter because it will automate the way the user interacts with the categories selector. The interactivity of a Dashboard that contains a category selector is based on actions triggered by the selection of some categories.

MaxMolello

Same boat as everyone else, really need a select instead of filter so other data is still visible.

LiamHarrington-Missin

Agree - Just ran into this issue myself.  The only work around I could do was to simply embed a text hyperlink into the dashboard to "show all data".  The hyperlink just reloads the dashboard url with no param pair.  Works in a standalone dashboard example but will fall over if the dashboard is embedded.  

ChelseaRozek

Almost 3 years later and I saw the blog post about the new Dashboard Reset feature. I was excited, thinking it would finally solve this issue, but it does not. The URL parameter still filters down the category selector and the refresh icon did not appear for me. 

What’s New in ArcGIS Dashboards (November 2022) (esri.com)

AlessioDiLorenzo

@LiamHarrington-Missin yes, this could be a workaround (very ugly indeed) that works if your users are fine with "one or all" of the options. If they are looking for "one, many or all" it does not work anymore.

I find this functionality have to be implemented asap, using URL parameters to select and/or (even better) to let defini a default selection when configuring the category selector as multiple.

Upvoted!

JohnFannon

Yes completely agree. There needs to be an option to SELECT (not filter) using URL parameters. This would also include:

• Selecting an item in a list.
  • Selecting a feature on the map.

Both of these can be used to drive other actions.

ArtK
by

This would assist my current predicament with my dashboard. URL parameter and selector widget both filtering the same stuff. Therefor the behavior is not compatible. This would make them compatible.