End-User Selection of Dashboard Elements

07-22-2022 12:45 PM
GeorgeNewbury
Occasional Contributor

As a GIS Analyst, SME, Data Janitor, and General Plumber of Information Flow, I don't have the time, patience, or visual skills to create fancy dashboards. What I do have is the knowledge of what the underlying statistics represent along with their caveats and the ability to describe that statistics fitness for use when address certain problem sets. In addition there are a variety of customer use cases that need access to my statistical data, for example:

• External Stakeholders need high level summaries of my data repositories and data collection capabilities
  • Internal Program Management needs a more real-time view of our operations
  • Internal IT management needs forecasting for how much on prem storage we need
  • All end users need the ability to filter based on a variety of spatial, temporal, and business qualities

The statistics, maps, charts, and other elements that each use case needs have common elements, but they do not exactly align. For example program management may care about total area of data where as internal IT cares about storage size in GB. Both would care though about projected costs in storage.   External stakeholders want to see more historical data than internal management, for example 'how much have you collected in my aoi'. 

In addition statistics have caveats, for example total area is based on a definition of how that area is computed. If we were dealing with drone imagery for example, the footprint's area may be significantly different than the extent's area. And the total area of the individual frames would be much less than a final orthomosaic. 

Thus the idea is to allow for typical individual elements of a dashboard to be stored independent of a dashboard, and to be selectable and added to each user's own dashboard/experience. 

Tags (1)