Dashboard Accessibility for Equitable Engagement

10-31-2023 12:20 PM
MorganRowden1
New Contributor

What methods have others used to provide access to Dashboards for people who do not have access to internet or a smart phone? Has anyone integrated a Dashboard into a Kiosk near a bus station or something similar?

Thanks in advance, all ideas and input welcome!

2 Replies
EH_Alaska
Occasional Contributor

Hey @MorganRowden1, this is such a neat question! I've been trying to think of ways to integrate GIS solutions into my community lately, but I never considered the possibility of someone not having access to internet/devices.

Here are some thoughts that come to mind (and really depend on what kind of dashboard(s) you are trying to share):

• Partnering with local hotspots such as libraries, schools, or community centers. You can show them your dashboards, explain why you think visitors may want to engage with them, and ask them to have some kind of display around their building/devices (ex: Flyers taped to each computer monitor).
  • Share the dashboard(s) on social media and encourage users to then share them with others who may not be able to access them on their own.
  • Create static screenshots of the dashboard(s) displaying the most relevant aspects of them, with information on how people can view the full application ("If you don't have access to the internet, visit your local library and enter the following URL to learn more").

-Ellie

0 Kudos
JenniferAcunto
Esri Regular Contributor

While not quite the same thing, I have built dashboards that are displayed on large wall mounted screens for watchfloors. When designing them, you really need to consider your audience and how they will be using them. These wall mounted dashboards cannot leverage interactive components or filters and need to be designed accordingly. You may need a couple versions of you dashboard if you are going to using different display methods. 

Another thing to consider is that an audience that doesn't have regular internet access, might need more instruction as to how to interact with it. Again, most important information should be displayed from the beginning and any filters or interactive pieces should be clearly indicated. 

- Jen
0 Kudos