Data too big for a FeatureSet calculation? How else might I achieve this?

Jump to solution
a month ago
BlakeMorrison
New Contributor III

I have a layer with ~14,000 features. Each feature has a date attribute. I would like to classify the data into defined age ranges and display that in a serial chart in a dashboard.

I have a feeling there is too much data to achieve this with reasonable performance. Can anyone confirm?

Is there a better way to achieve what I want?

Thank you

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BlakeMorrison
New Contributor III

Thanks for your reply!

I actually have 3 fields I would like to process in various manners.

• The date range classification is an age, and ages are variable depending on todays date.
    • I could calculate static data initially, and then calculate on-the-fly via Map Viewer Smart Forms for further data, but I would also have to update at minimum once a year (for my purposes)
  • A second date field which depending on two other dates fields, populates as the later of the two dates.
    • I could technically do the same as the above option
  • A third field holding either data or null, which I would like to select via a yes/no or 1/0 option depending on whether there is data or not.
    • Again, I can calculate the current data, and then calculate on-the-fly with Smart Forms for updates

But that's all very inelegant.

I found another post with a very clean solution I'm currently adapting to my uses: https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-dashboards-questions/use-category-selector-as-a-yes-or-no/td-p/...

With regards to the dataset size- As I'm rebuilding my dashboard, it actually feels a bit quicker. I think cos I'm not "importing" unneccesary data into the FeatureSet.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
MobiusSnake
MVP

Is your data static?  Can you pre-process your date ranges into a new field?  If so, and depending what kind of widgets you're using, the dashboard may be able to pull your data down using a stats query (much, much more efficient) rather than pulling down all 14k records.

If the data's static but you don't own it, could you summarize it into your own dataset?  Or, if it's updated at regular intervals, maybe use a Notebook to summarize it automatically.

BlakeMorrison
New Contributor III

Thanks for your reply!

I actually have 3 fields I would like to process in various manners.

• The date range classification is an age, and ages are variable depending on todays date.
    • I could calculate static data initially, and then calculate on-the-fly via Map Viewer Smart Forms for further data, but I would also have to update at minimum once a year (for my purposes)
  • A second date field which depending on two other dates fields, populates as the later of the two dates.
    • I could technically do the same as the above option
  • A third field holding either data or null, which I would like to select via a yes/no or 1/0 option depending on whether there is data or not.
    • Again, I can calculate the current data, and then calculate on-the-fly with Smart Forms for updates

But that's all very inelegant.

I found another post with a very clean solution I'm currently adapting to my uses: https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-dashboards-questions/use-category-selector-as-a-yes-or-no/td-p/...

With regards to the dataset size- As I'm rebuilding my dashboard, it actually feels a bit quicker. I think cos I'm not "importing" unneccesary data into the FeatureSet.

0 Kudos
BlakeMorrison
New Contributor III

Alright, While I've technically answered the topic of my own post. I still haven't achieved what I want and can't find how to do so, nor do I know quite how to ask the question.

0 Kudos