Embedded in iframe dashboards are failing all of a sudden

10-26-2023 06:34 AM
JimLawruk1
New Contributor II

We have an embedded dashboard in an iframe that is now returning an error.  The message on the screen is "You do not have permissions to access the resource".  The dashboard has worked for months and was working yesterday.  None of the permissions have changed. If you open the dashboard in its own browser window, it works just fine.  There is a JavaScript error in the Dev Tools Console that says "Error while processing route: dashboard Error". 

Edit:
When the dashboard is not embedded in an iframe, you can see request Urls to content items with a token in the Url. Those same requests when in an iframe does NOT include the token, causing the permission issue. 

Did anything change recently to cause this issue?

Tags (1)
8 Replies
MartinCopping
Esri Contributor

Morning @JimLawruk1 - Please open a Support Ticket to get this logged and in the queue for review.

Martin Copping
Product Manager, ArcGIS Online - Dashboards
Vinzafy
Occasional Contributor

Same issue here. Double checked all permissions and account types - all seem fine. Seems there was a significant update to AGO yesterday which is likely causing the issue. Putting in a ticket as well.

NOTE: opening the individual dashboards still work. The access issue seems to be coming when they're embedded.

From the AGO Health Dashboard:

The ArcGIS.com system will be undergoing maintenance on October 25th, 2023 between the times of 5pm and midnight Pacific Time. While we don't anticipate any significant downtime, you may experience some minimal disruption during this maintenance period.

Vinzafy
Occasional Contributor

NOTE: This worked for me as the issue came up with embedded dashboards in Experience Builder. Dashboards embedded via <iframe> elements are unfortunately still returning access issues.

It seems that the initial URLs used in the embed widget were either altered or are no longer valid.

Issue

In my case, the URL used in the embed widget that no longer works was the following:

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/dashboards/<item id>

Grabbing the dashboard URL from ago, the actual URL that does work is the following:

https://<organization>.maps.arcgis.com/apps/dashboards/<item id>

As seen, the previous URL was the generic, "arcigs.com/apps..." as opposed to the site specific, "<organization>.maps.arcgis.com/apps...".

Again, I don't know if this got changed in the update, or if the more generic URLs were acceptable for the embed widget pre-update.

Fix (works for embeds in widgets, but NOT for iframe elements)

To fix this, edit your experience and re-path the URLs used for the embed using the current URLs for the respective dashboards.

Amendment

One thing I did not test were iframe elements. My embedded dashboards were experiencing the same issue as you, however iframe embedded elements still return the permissions issue 😔

JimLawruk1
New Contributor II

Unfortunately our URL is already in the format:  https://<organization>.maps.arcgis.com/apps/dashboards/<item id>  
Thanks anyway.

0 Kudos
Vinzafy
Occasional Contributor

Hey Jim,

Apologies I just tried testing a bit more and though things were fixed on my end with embeds in EB widgets, iframe elements still return the permissions issue. Updated my initial response accordingly.

RyanStad
New Contributor II

I'm encountering the same issue.  I've let ESRI know.  Any fix yet?  Thanks

JimLawruk1
New Contributor II

At least for me, the issue is resolved. My embedded dashboard is now working. Appreciate the quick turnaround.

RyanStad
New Contributor II

Mine are working now as well.  Glad it was resolved quickly.