How do I use the previous value for the reference in the Indicator? when I choose previous value it is displaying the same number. I have multiple entries in a related table associated to an event ( 1 to many) and trying to calculate the difference from

12-04-2019 11:08 PM
AlisanSpeed
New Contributor

How do I use the previous value for the reference in the Indicator?  when I choose previous value it is displaying the same number.  I have multiple entries in a related table associated to an event ( 1 to many) and trying to calculate the difference from the current and previous value.

13 Replies
ScottStopyak
Occasional Contributor II

Has anyone successfully gotten the indicator previous value reference to work right? It keeps giving the current value as the previous value. In my dash, I have data that gets updated once daily. When the data is changed (edited right on AGO) the indicator value changes. Unfortunately, so does the reference and it reports the new value as the previous value. I saw a bug out there about this and fixing it is listed as "not in the product plan".

0 Kudos
RebeccaWoods
New Contributor

I am using the public Johns Hopkins CSS COVID-19 feature layer which is in an indicator in an operations dashboard.  I have the Active case as the value and "previous value" as the reference.  I am trying to display the difference between the previous value and the current value.  It only ever displays as 0.  This feature layer updates daily but my indicator does not change.  Is there another setting that I am not seeing?

Thanks very much,

0 Kudos
Nicole_Ueberschär
Esri Regular Contributor

@DerekLaw, is there actually a way to achieve what people are asking for here?

LiamHarrington-Missin
Occasional Contributor II

Ahh I see why I'm struggling. 

The "previous value" reference is for if you UPDATE (overwrite) an existing record in the feature layer.  e.g. If I had a single field "incidents_thisWeek" and I updated that value weekly, then the behavour of previous value would be as I'd hoped. 

However, if I have a database that has a date field for "weekstart_date" and then a separate field for "no_incidents" and I create (ADD) a new record each week, then the previous value feature doesn't work, because you aren't updating an existing record but creating a new record. 

It doesn't matter that my indicator updates each week because I've set the max features displayed on the indicator to 1 and the sort by field to "incidents_thisWeek"

Thats confusing until you read this post!  Thanks all.

So, now I know, how do I fix it?... My gut feeling is that this is going to involve the dreaded "Data expressions" feature... Very Powerful BUT not very easy to learn.  Time to get on that learning curve. 

Thanks @Nicole_Ueberschär & @DerekLaw 

Liam
0 Kudos