"Null Values Check" What do that mean ???

Jump to solution
12-04-2012 02:49 AM
MartinHvidberg
Occasional Contributor
I data reviewer, in the check: Validating domains (Maritime Charting)
there is an option to do a: "Null Values Check"

What, exactely do this option provide. I can't find it described in the documentation:
http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#/Validating_domains/0106000001sm000000/

Best regards
Martin
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanHopkins
Esri Contributor
Hi Martin,

If you check on 'Search for Null values', the Domain Check will report attribute field domains with no recorded value. Depending on the number of objects in your feature class, the result could be several hundred to several thousand to several hundred thousand potential errors being reported. This might not be desirable. The null values might exist because the feature class might be in the middle of production or a source needed for one of the domain fields might not be available or the source data imported into the feature class might not have some domain fields populated or null values might be allowed. If that is the case, you might want to check off ''Search for Null values' and have the Domain Check focus on and identify objects with a field with a recorded value that violates a domain. Several utility users requested the ability to check on/off 'Search for Null values' because they often have attribute field domains with no recorded value due to the reasons I cited above. The utility users would check on 'Search for Null values' when null values are not supposed to exist within any of the attribute field domains within their feature class.

Regards,
Dan

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
DanHopkins
Esri Contributor
Hi Martin,

If you check on 'Search for Null values', the Domain Check will report attribute field domains with no recorded value. Depending on the number of objects in your feature class, the result could be several hundred to several thousand to several hundred thousand potential errors being reported. This might not be desirable. The null values might exist because the feature class might be in the middle of production or a source needed for one of the domain fields might not be available or the source data imported into the feature class might not have some domain fields populated or null values might be allowed. If that is the case, you might want to check off ''Search for Null values' and have the Domain Check focus on and identify objects with a field with a recorded value that violates a domain. Several utility users requested the ability to check on/off 'Search for Null values' because they often have attribute field domains with no recorded value due to the reasons I cited above. The utility users would check on 'Search for Null values' when null values are not supposed to exist within any of the attribute field domains within their feature class.

Regards,
Dan
0 Kudos