Does data load cause invalid geometry in Data Reviewer?

04-20-2011 06:12 AM
AshleyMott
New Contributor III
Hi,
I am creating many Data Reviewer checks for my workflows. My workplace receives a lot of data from vendors and surveyors. We load this data into standardized database schemas (e.g., SDSFIE) with the Load Data functionality in ArcCatalog. If I use the default Data Reviewer checks, all of my loaded features come back with Invalid Geometry. Does data load cause invalid geometry in Data Reviewer?

If so, this prevents me from running additional checks such as Polyline of Path Closes on Self Check.

Any explanation of the logic behind this is appreciated.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
KyleMallas
New Contributor
I typically uncheck the Default Invalid Geomtry Check and build it into my .rbj batch check.  Not sure if this would make a difference. 

The Data Load tool should not introduce Invalid Geomtry Errors but if the database Coordinate Systems are not the same then transformation of the data between coordinate systems may cause an issue.  (ie GCS vs. Projected) . Also check the x y tolerance between the to Feature Classes in each database.
0 Kudos
AshleyMott
New Contributor III
Hi Kyle, thank you for your response.

I get the invalid geometry error when I attempt to run subsequent checks. I get the error whether I have the invalid geometry check enabled or not.

Both the input data and database use the same projected coordinate system.

And, all of my tolerances are the same.

Not sure what my next step is. Luckily, an ESRI Data Reviewer expert is coming to my work next week. Hopefully he/she can address my issue.

Thanks!
0 Kudos
DanHopkins
Esri Contributor
Ashley,

We spoke by phone earlier today.

To answer your question, Load Data... in ArcCatalog does not introduce invalid geometry. Most likely, the invalid geometry exists in the deliverables you are receiving from your vendors and surveyors. You stated that you are receiving file geodatabases as deliverables and you are loading them into SDE. Before you load the data into SDE, I recommend that you make a copy of each deliverable and run the Check Geometry GP tool. If issues are detected, then you can run the Repair Geometry GP tool.

Regarding creating ArcGIS Data Reviewer Checks in a RBJ, when you run the RBJ, by default the Invalid Geometry Check is run. You can disable the Invalid Geometry Check by clicking the Default Checks tab on the Reviewer Session Manager dialog box. However, this is not recommended because some of the Reviewer Checks will not execute if invalid geometry exists. ArcGIS applications are built with the assumption that the feature's geometry follows certain specifications. When the processing algorithms encounter data that does not follow the specifications, the software can return errors or crash, or the operation may succeed without apparent problem but the result may be incorrect.

Regards,

Dan
0 Kudos
AshleyMott
New Contributor III
Hi Dan,
So you were right on the money. I ran the Check Geometry GP Tool on some of our deliverables and there were many self-intersecting lines. This is an interesting problem for us, because some features we use are supposed to self-intersect. I think there is a business decision we will have to make to possbly require that instead of the lines intersecting that each feature will need to end when it will be intersecting another feature and then a new feature has to be started on the other side.

I loaded the data into a file geodatabase after running the check geometry and repair geometry tools and I did not get invalid geometry! Yah!

However, I am not sure what to do with SDE. The Geometry tool help says you cannot use it with SDE like you said.

SDE Geodatabases automatically check the validity of each geometry when they are uploaded; therefore the Check Geometry and Repair Geometry tools are not for use with SDE.

But, I don't know how SDE is checking the validity of geometry, because when I load it I am not getting any errors.

Also, I wanted to mention that I think this part of the Data Reviewer Help is what confused me about invalid geometry:

Invalid geometry is caused by a variety of processes, including loading and clipping data.

http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#//010200000058000000.htm

That is what gave me the impression that data load was the problem.

Thanks for all of your help Dan!
0 Kudos