Domain Validation Blank Record Issue

06-06-2014 06:20 AM
StevenGraf1
Occasional Contributor III
Running 10.2.2.

I run the Domain Validation check and it works correctly except it returns all records that don't have a specified domain.  Is there a way to set the domain validation check to ignore empty/blank records? 

Records can be empty in a domain if you load data into an existing domain field.

Thanks!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
SteveSalas
Occasional Contributor
By empty I think you mean an empty string that is not NULL?  If that is the case, I think you need to ensure that all of those empty strings are converted to NULL prior to running this check.  One or more space characters is probably being treated as just another text string that doesn't match a value in the coded value domain list.  At least by converting them to NULLs, you have the toggle for "Search for Null Values" which you could use to ignore NULL values.

If your field does not allow NULL values, well, you're probably stuck adding a new value (to represent "unknown" or "not applicable") to both your data and the coded value domain.
0 Kudos
StevenGraf1
Occasional Contributor III
Ya, they are blank strings that were loaded into the domain field.  I was hoping someone had developed a work around for this problem.  Guess I will be creating a toolbox instead.

Thanks!
0 Kudos
MichelleJohnson
Esri Contributor
Another option is to use the Execute SQL Check to validate fields with domains.  You would have to enter in the complete list of valid domain values in your query, but you only have to do it once.
0 Kudos