Grid Setup Redundancy

10-25-2010 04:57 PM
TedCronin
MVP Honored Contributor
It seems like there are three places to setup a grid, why not have one location where I set a grid to be used for Reviewer throughout the product.  I can define it from the Overview Window Active Grid Section.  I can set a Grid on the Reviewer Table properties Grid Tab and I can access the Grid Tab from the Reviewer Session Manager Advanced Reviewer Methods, which looks to be exactly like the Reviewer Table properties, but in this case, I set it in one location and it did not get set in the other location, so perhaps these two could be linked, or perhaps this is a bug.  Just thinking that if they all serve the same purpose, it would be nice to streamline this part of the setup, so I set it once, and it is reflected everywhere.  Perhaps there are additional location to set Grid that I have not discovered, yet.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
KumarBhardwaj
Occasional Contributor II
Grid Setup option provided at different places serves different purposes, Overview Window provides an option to add grid in the Overview Window as well as in the map however the grid setup in other two places uses the same dialog box and they are linked with each other.

I tested on a latest beta build of Production Mapping 10 SP1 and I found that if you use the Advance option of Reviewer Session Manager to setup a grid it is properly accessed from the Reviewer table properties, but the Overview Window option is not linked with other two options because it is used for a different purpose and have additional option.
0 Kudos
TedCronin
MVP Honored Contributor
Grid Setup option provided at different places serves different purposes, Overview Window provides an option to add grid in the Overview Window as well as in the map however the grid setup in other two places uses the same dialog box and they are linked with each other.

I tested on a latest beta build of Production Mapping 10 SP1 and I found that if you use the Advance option of Reviewer Session Manager to setup a grid it is properly accessed from the Reviewer table properties, but the Overview Window option is not linked with other two options because it is used for a different purpose and have additional option.

Ok, I can see that, but it would be easier, if on one dialog, I could set the properties for all three different instances, since maybe the grid is the same on all three instances.  A simpler approach will always be better than a complicated approach.  One dialog for three properties, is a lot less clicks.
KitDwyer
New Contributor

Ted,

I agree with your response to Kumar. Consolidating the dialogs for grid use could help the user better understand how the grids are linked to Table/Map/Overview Window, and how they are not linked. I find the current setup confusing. 

0 Kudos