What is the relationship between the Error Inspector and Data Reviewer?

Jump to solution
02-09-2023 10:55 PM
Labels (1)
StefanDieters1
New Contributor III

I am using Pro 2.9 and Pro 3.0 to validate data with attribute rules. From the Error Inspector I get a table of errors.

Looking at Data Reviewer for Pro it seems to be only for visual and semi autometed review; e.g report missing features.

What is the relation of Error Inspector to Data Inspector for Pro?

Is the error table produced by Error inspector an Data Reviewer table.

Where are the Data Reviewer and Data Inspector tables stored?

I have done searches and have come up with very little information.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JayCary
Esri Contributor

Does this help?

The  Data Reviewer based tools (DR itself and "Missing Features" and "Browse Features" of Manage Data Quality) use only the DR schema and that evaluate data quality step (from error inspector or the work flow manager step) only the error layers.

For clarification, the following tools in ArcGIS Pro support the Reviewer Workspace:

• Flag Missing Features
  • Browse Features
  • GP tools (Execute Reviewer Batch Job, Write To Reviewer Table, Create Reviewer Session, Delete Reviewer Session, Enable Data Reviewer)  
Can you have both  the DR schema and error layers in the same database?

Is this possible with a Branch Versioned gdb? In enterprise?

In file/mobile geodatabase, the Reviewer Workspace and attribute rule (AR) error layers should co-exist peacefully.

Note: Implementing attribute rules will impact backward compatibility with ArcMap and older versions of ArcGIS Pro. More info can be found here.

Reviewer Workspace is not supported in branch versioned enterprise geodatabase and AR error layers are not supported in traditional versioned enterprise geodatabase.

In Pro, Data Reviewer requires the setting up a workspace on the database == a schema with tables for track errors e.g. Enable Data Reviewer.  I assume the resulting schema tables  are just like the tables set-up with Data Reviewer with ArcMap.A Reviewer Workspace created in ArcGIS Pro is compatible with ArcMap 10.8x. 

To use the Data Quality "Missing Features" and Browse Features tools you need the Data Reviewer license.

My understanding is that any errors generated by these 2 tools are written only to the DR schema tables.

Correct
What are called "Data Reviewer Checks" are equivalent to the "ready to use rules" that show up in the "Attribute Rules tab"?Data Reviewer's checks (documented here) can be configured to implement constraint and validation attribute rules. They are access from the "Ready to Use Rules" gallery in Attribute rules view as outlined here.

Can Data Reviewer run standard attribute rules (written in Arcade) rather than the Reviewer checks? If so where are the errors written; DR schema, or the error layers?In validation attribute rules, there are two implementation patterns (Arcade and Data Reviewer). Regardless of the implementation, rules are evaluated together with resultant error features created in the AR error layers.

Note: To evaluate Data Reviewer-based validation attribute rules a Data Reviewer for ArcGIS Pro (file/mobile geodatabase) or a Data Reviewer for ArcGIS Enterprise license (branch versioned enterprise geodatabase) is required.
From the Error Inspector running the evaluate data quality command  the output for either a ready to use rule or a standard arcade validation rule are written to the error layers. They have different life cycle behavior.This is as-designed.
Is there a way to import/export they error layers into the DR schema or visa versa?Importing AR error features to a Reviewer Workspace should be possible using the Write to Reviewer Table GP tool. Custom code will be required to translate an AR error feature's FeatureClassID value to the corresponding Feature/object class name.

Importing Reviewer Workspace error features to AR error layers is not supported since these tables are system-managed to maintain consistency between rules and their error features.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JayCary
Esri Contributor

The Error Inspector is "generic" pane used to manage error features created when validating data using ArcGIS capabilities such as Topology Rules and Attribute Rules. These errors are stored in a schema that are specific to the capability.

The Reviewer Results pane is used to manage error features created when validating data using ArcMap-based automated checks (Reviewer Batch Jobs), visual review tools and automated workflows using the Write to Reviewer Table geoprocessing tool. These errors are stored in a schema that is specific to Data Reviewer. This capability should be considered a legacy workflow to support deployments that contain both ArcMap and ArcGIS Pro clients. Data Reviewer customers are encouraged to migrate their QC workflows to Attribute Rules (and the Error Inspector) when they are ready to move from ArcMap.

StefanDieters1
New Contributor III

Thanks Jay for the answer, but it's not quite what I was trying to get at. I have done some more research so here goes:

I am using Pro 3.0.2 and Enterprise 11.

The  Data Reviewer based tools (DR itself and "Missing Features" and "Browse Features" of Manage Data Quality) use only the DR schema and that evaluate data quality step (from error inspector or the work flow manager step) only the error layers.

In Pro, Data Reviewer requires the setting up a workspace on the database == a schema with tables for track errors e.g. Enable Data Reviewer.  I assume the resulting schema tables  are just like the tables set-up with Data Reviewer with ArcMap.

To use the Data Quality "Missing Features" and Browse Features tools you need the Data Reviewer license.

My understanding is that any errors generated by these 2 tools are written only to the DR schema tables.

What are called "Data Reviewer Checks" are equivalent to the "ready to use rules" that show up in the "Attribute Rules tab"?

Can Data Reviewer run standard attribute rules (written in Arcade) rather than the Reviewer checks? If so where are the errors written; DR schema, or the error layers?

From the Error Inspector running the evaluate data quality command  the output for either a ready to use rule or a standard arcade validation rule are written to the error layers. They have different life cycle behavior.

Is there a way to import/export they error layers into the DR schema or visa versa?

0 Kudos
JayCary
Esri Contributor

Does this help?

For clarification, the following tools in ArcGIS Pro support the Reviewer Workspace:

• Flag Missing Features
  • Browse Features
  • GP tools (Execute Reviewer Batch Job, Write To Reviewer Table, Create Reviewer Session, Delete Reviewer Session, Enable Data Reviewer)  

In file/mobile geodatabase, the Reviewer Workspace and attribute rule (AR) error layers should co-exist peacefully.

Note: Implementing attribute rules will impact backward compatibility with ArcMap and older versions of ArcGIS Pro. More info can be found here.

Reviewer Workspace is not supported in branch versioned enterprise geodatabase and AR error layers are not supported in traditional versioned enterprise geodatabase.

In Pro, Data Reviewer requires the setting up a workspace on the database == a schema with tables for track errors e.g. Enable Data Reviewer.  I assume the resulting schema tables  are just like the tables set-up with Data Reviewer with ArcMap.A Reviewer Workspace created in ArcGIS Pro is compatible with ArcMap 10.8x. 

Correct
What are called "Data Reviewer Checks" are equivalent to the "ready to use rules" that show up in the "Attribute Rules tab"?Data Reviewer's checks (documented here) can be configured to implement constraint and validation attribute rules. They are access from the "Ready to Use Rules" gallery in Attribute rules view as outlined here.

Can Data Reviewer run standard attribute rules (written in Arcade) rather than the Reviewer checks? If so where are the errors written; DR schema, or the error layers?In validation attribute rules, there are two implementation patterns (Arcade and Data Reviewer). Regardless of the implementation, rules are evaluated together with resultant error features created in the AR error layers.

Note: To evaluate Data Reviewer-based validation attribute rules a Data Reviewer for ArcGIS Pro (file/mobile geodatabase) or a Data Reviewer for ArcGIS Enterprise license (branch versioned enterprise geodatabase) is required.
From the Error Inspector running the evaluate data quality command  the output for either a ready to use rule or a standard arcade validation rule are written to the error layers. They have different life cycle behavior.This is as-designed.
Is there a way to import/export they error layers into the DR schema or visa versa?Importing AR error features to a Reviewer Workspace should be possible using the Write to Reviewer Table GP tool. Custom code will be required to translate an AR error feature's FeatureClassID value to the corresponding Feature/object class name.

Importing Reviewer Workspace error features to AR error layers is not supported since these tables are system-managed to maintain consistency between rules and their error features.
0 Kudos
StefanDieters1
New Contributor III

Thanks Jay for the comprehensive reply. I'll need to digest a couple of bits

0 Kudos