10.6 won't install because it says there is a 10.0 product but I can't find it

Jump to solution
04-07-2018 10:15 AM
LauraAugustine
New Contributor II

Does anyone have a link to where I can download the uninstall utility for versions through 10.0?  I can find documentation about such a product, but I can't find a link to the actual product.  I have spent a week trying to install 10.6 and I give up. IIt keeps telling me that it sees a 10.0 product remnant in some unnamed location and refuses to install 10.6. 

I have run a windows control panel uninstall of 10.0 and 10.0 license manager and the ArcGIS vba resources and the Data interoperability ext. and I don't know what could be left. 

I have emptied my recycle bin. I have rebooted the computer. I think windows 10 even installed an OS update.  And still the *!%&* 10.6 desktop won't install and doesn't even display a list of the items it doesn't like.

I found a thread that says the uninstall utility isn't needed any more (as of 10.4 and 10.5) because arc now installs over, or allows upgrades to, previous products, but obviously that's not true.

My husband has even spent a few minutes poking around in the registry, because in years past (with 9.x versions) sometimes there was a stray registry key problem, but we are stuck.  Can anyone suggest any likely culprits? Or provide a link to the old uninstall utility?   It really shouldn't be this much trouble....

thank you

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LauraAugustine
New Contributor II

This microsoft tool, found in a reply under the question "Installation impossible" worked for me.  It detected a part of either the vba resources or the data interoperability that was tied to the 10.0 version and cleaned it out. 

Correct Answer

Jonas, this Microsoft tool should help remove any traces of your previous install. link

https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/17588/fix-problems-that-block-programs-from-being-installed... 

View solution in original post

1 Reply
LauraAugustine
New Contributor II

This microsoft tool, found in a reply under the question "Installation impossible" worked for me.  It detected a part of either the vba resources or the data interoperability that was tied to the 10.0 version and cleaned it out. 

Correct Answer

Jonas, this Microsoft tool should help remove any traces of your previous install. link

https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/17588/fix-problems-that-block-programs-from-being-installed...