Anyone getting random General Function Failure error's with Windows 10 and ArcMap 10.4.1?

05-01-2017 12:13 PM
JeffJones7
New Contributor II

Our company recently upgraded to new Windows 10 desktops. At the same time we upgraded from ArcMap 10.2 to ArcMap 10.4. I am now regularly getting random "General Function Failure" error's while using ArcMap. It typically happens when I am simply navigating the map, panning and zooming around and selecting features and working with the Table data. I am mostly working with existing MXD's that I started working with while I was using 10.2. [Edit]I believe they have all not been updated to 10.4 MXD's.I believe all MXD's started as 10.2 MXD's and have all now been saved in 10.4. I have tried starting an MXD from scratch in 10.4 and seem to be having the same issue, maybe just a little less often. [/Edit]

Anyone have this experience? Or and suggestions on what is going on or how best to approach troubleshooting?

40 Replies
CarineStolz1
New Contributor II

Dear Fiona, dear all,

We have finally solved the problem based on the fact that using the unc path directly, we never encountered the problem. The IT team had build the network drive using "gpo" and this was causing the bug. With Esri support and IT Team we solved the problem by "building" the network drive with "net use" instead of "gpo". 

FionaEllison
New Contributor II

Carine, Molly,

Thank you for your suggestions.  Changing the gpo to "Update" instead of "Replace" has worked for us as well.

Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

ArcMap 10.2.1 does not support Windows 10 OS so the upgrade to 10.4 in your case would resolve most of these issues.  One thing to try is opening your 10.2 *.mxds in 10.4 ArcMap and "Save As" a new *.mxd.  Then delete the old ones.

MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Do you know if the scenario from this thread applies to you?

axtiveX error warning

Possibly not the activeX warnings, but is this Windows 10 version being used on your Windows 10 machines?

0 Kudos
CarolBaker
New Contributor III

I'm having this exact same problem.  Upgraded from Windows 7/ArcMap 10.4.1 to Windows 10/ArcMap 10.6.1 and every mxd I open, with all data stored locally on my Town Hall network will eventually randomly lose connection to every single data layer, all stored as shapefiles, file geodb or scanned raster asbuilts with general function failure.  Very Frustrating!!!!

Will talk with IT regarding shared policy, but how does one go about easily changing to UNC paths on 20 years of work?

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

When you say all data stored on my Town Hall network, are you saying the data is stored on the c-drive of the computer or on a network share drive?

If it is the IT policy as per the threads above and IT will not change the policy, you could try python scripting to update the data sources to unc path instead of a mapped network drive.  There is ESRI help as well as python samples on this forum.

0 Kudos
CarolBaker
New Contributor III

Network share drive

0 Kudos
CarolBaker
New Contributor III

Could you also give me specific info on what change my IT dept needs to do? They are usually quite accommodating!

Carol

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

As per Molly Watson's response on 5/8/2018 "Our IT Division changed our Windows 10 group policy settings from "Replace" to "Update" and that seems to have resolved our general function failure issues."

My org has not experienced this issue because my org does not have this group policy setup.

DouglasGawtry1
New Contributor

My org has been having the same issue for over a year.  We figured it was some sort of group policy issue from the get go.  At first I was removed from group policy altogether and that seemed to work for about three months.  Then the problem came back.  I was the first one on Windows 10 since I am in the IT department testing for all the rest of the users.  Now everyone is starting to switch with replacements and they are all starting to have the problem.  It tried the update instead of replace and it increased the working time to about and hour instead of the 15-30 minutes that the error was happening in before.  It is quite annoying since it effects file geodatabases and sometimes raster data that is stored on the network.  I have 10.6.1 for desktop, but it is also effecting ArcGIS Pro, which makes it even harder to switch over to.

0 Kudos