XYZ data to surface

11-07-2017 02:01 PM
StathisAngelou
New Contributor

Hello there, I have a large number of pts files containing xyz data and i'm interested in creating a raster surface via IDW. So far I have imported the pts files as txt to ArcGIS but when i ran the Merge tool from Arctoolbox it gives an error and doesn't complete the process. I have tried so far the function for both txt as well shapefiles, after plotting XY data but i get the same result. The reason why i do this is that IDW requires only one file to be used as input. Any advice or help would be really appreciated, Stathis

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

what is the error? that is probably the key to the problem

And I would bring them into a geodatabase in any event rather than trying to work with shapefiles that will have a limitation on file size

XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

In case of many points it might be wise to create a terrain:

StathisAngelou
New Contributor

Good afternoon Dan and Xander and thank you very much for your prompt responses. I did mitigate the number of files used in the Merge function and it seems it's behaving alright, no error so far. The error I had was a generic kind of error without any clarification. But yes Dan I believe you are correct, since I have quite a few datasets to go through the creation of a geodatabase is a valid option. Thank you very much and I shall let you know the outcome as soon as it completes.