CDF tool not installed with ArcGIS Enterprise SDK 11.1

Jump to solution
a week ago
JohnLandeborg1
New Contributor II

I'm able to install CDF tool using version 11.2 but not 11.1 downloaded from my esri.

No warning or prompt during installation and the folder customdatacli is not created.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
John_Hash
Esri Contributor

Hello, @JohnLandeborg1 
I have a couple comments and suggestions that may help you solve this issue.
1) During installation, does the install wizard give you a warning that either Node.js is not found or that the installed version of Node.js is not supported?

2) ArcGIS Enterprise SDK version 11.2 supports a higher version of Node.js than 11.1. For instance, 11.2 requires a version of Node.js between 16.19.1 and 18.17.0. An appropriate for Node.js version for 11.1 would be 14.21.3 for instance.

3) Are you managing your Node.js versions on your machine with NVM for Windows? I am assuming you are using Windows here, but if you are using Linux, please let me know, and I can change our conversation toward Linux installations. In 11.2, Node.js installations performed with NVM for Windows are supported. In 11.1, I would suggest installing Node.js directly from the download https://nodejs.org/en/download.

So after all that, this is what I would suggest you try at this point:
1 - Uninstall ArcGIS Enterprise SDK

2 - Uninstall your current version of Node.js (regardless of the method you used to install it), and make sure there is no "nodejs" folder in "C:\Program Files"

3 - Use the link above to download and install Node.js 14.21.3

4 - Install ArcGIS Enterprise SDK version 11.1

If you have any questions or concerns before trying these steps, please don't hesitate to reply.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
John_Hash
Esri Contributor

Hello, @JohnLandeborg1 
I have a couple comments and suggestions that may help you solve this issue.
1) During installation, does the install wizard give you a warning that either Node.js is not found or that the installed version of Node.js is not supported?

2) ArcGIS Enterprise SDK version 11.2 supports a higher version of Node.js than 11.1. For instance, 11.2 requires a version of Node.js between 16.19.1 and 18.17.0. An appropriate for Node.js version for 11.1 would be 14.21.3 for instance.

3) Are you managing your Node.js versions on your machine with NVM for Windows? I am assuming you are using Windows here, but if you are using Linux, please let me know, and I can change our conversation toward Linux installations. In 11.2, Node.js installations performed with NVM for Windows are supported. In 11.1, I would suggest installing Node.js directly from the download https://nodejs.org/en/download.

So after all that, this is what I would suggest you try at this point:
1 - Uninstall ArcGIS Enterprise SDK

2 - Uninstall your current version of Node.js (regardless of the method you used to install it), and make sure there is no "nodejs" folder in "C:\Program Files"

3 - Use the link above to download and install Node.js 14.21.3

4 - Install ArcGIS Enterprise SDK version 11.1

If you have any questions or concerns before trying these steps, please don't hesitate to reply.

0 Kudos
JohnLandeborg1
New Contributor II

After I uninstalled nvm (and all node.js) and installed 14.21.3 of node.js was I able to install the SDK 11.1 cdf tool! Now I will go head and try the YELP sample on my ArcGIS Enterprise 11.1! Some modifiacation to the installations instructions is needed? And what to do if I must use nvm?

0 Kudos
JohnLandeborg1
New Contributor II

The YELP walkthrough endup with a error:
Failed to register custom data provider in 'yelp-data-provider.cdpk'. Failed to register custom data provider in 'yelp-data-provider.cdpk'. Node server failed to start

Somthing is still missing. Network issue? My ArcGIS Server is behind a webproxy, 

0 Kudos
John_Hash
Esri Contributor

Did your Yelp provider work in development before you exported it and attempted to register with ArcGIS Server?

On your ArcGIS server machine, you can check here to see more specific errors:
ArcGIS/Server/framework/runtime/customdata/logs

0 Kudos
JohnLandeborg1
New Contributor II

Yes I did get a result on develoment (localhost:8080/yelp-data-provider/rest/services/restaurants::redlands/FeatureServer/0/query)
Serverlog added below. The log ends in a error: 

"address already in use :::6843"

0 Kudos
John_Hash
Esri Contributor

Looks like for some reason that port isn't free. That is the port that the Custom Data Feeds Node.js app runs on. Try killing the current process on port 6843. The CDF app will automatically restart itself.

Kill Processes on Windows

Kill Processes on Linux 

0 Kudos
JohnLandeborg1
New Contributor II

I tried >12 hour later and now it works! I dont think anyone restart our ArcGIS developer machine, så the process must died on its own. My original error must be that it didn't work with my nvm installation, is it correctly interpreted?

0 Kudos
JohnLandeborg1
New Contributor II

1. No. I'm on a Windows 10 developer machine and using nvm as suggested (Install and Configure ArcGIS Server Custom Data Feeds | ArcGIS Enterprise SDK). Version 16.19.1 caused a warning, so I switched to 16.20.2 and the installation went through silently

2. I will try 14.21.3 but the instuctions does not mention nothing below 16.19.1

3, Yes Windows and nvm. Use nvm for a long time but will try to remove and install node 14.21.3 as you suggest. 

0 Kudos