Enterprise SDK 11 - Upgraded SOE now ruturns 'Microsoft.Data.SqlClient' not supported on this system.

05-09-2023 12:10 PM
MichaelSnook
Occasional Contributor III

Hello!

I just completed full migration from Enterprise 10.9.1 to 11.1.  I have most everything back  up and running except 1 custom SOE we have was using SqlConnection and System.Data.SqlClient to call a SQL command.  I got a 'System.Data.SqlClient' is not supported on this platform.  Thinking it was similar to the recent ArcPro add-in issue I swapped that out for 'Microsoft.Data.SqlClient' with the same results.  This was working fine before the upgrade.  Does any one have any input on this one?

Thanks!

Mike

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
13 Replies
AngusHooper1

https://developers.arcgis.com/enterprise-sdk/guide/net/whats-new-11-0-net/

The .NET SOE or SOI projects built with the previous versions of the SDK will no longer work with ArcGIS Enterprise SDK 11.0.

0 Kudos
MichaelSnook

Thanks.  I guess I should have emphasized more than just in the post title that I upgraded the SOE.  I have migrated all of our SOE's to the new 11 SDK using VS2022.  They all migrated fine except for this one issue I'm having with that particular assembly - Microsoft.Data.SqlClient'.  I even updated to the latest release and the error still shows up.

0 Kudos
nicogis
MVP Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos
AlexanderSt__John
New Contributor III

I am having a similar issue with a brand new SOI, and am using Microsoft.Data.SqlClient, instead of System.

What I want is to insert a row in a separate, non-spatial MSSQL database, so that I can keep records in sync between my enterprise geodatabase and the non-spatial database.

I am new to the Enterprise SDK; is this a feasible use case?

Can I implement additional interfaces, like IDbConnection on my SOI class? Create a separate class?

Or do I need to do this operation at the database level, with like an SSIS package?

0 Kudos
nicogis
MVP Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos
MichaelSnook

Either way I get 'System.Data.SqlClient is not supported on this system' or 'Microsoft.Data.SqlClient is not supported on this system'.  I thought it had something to do with the same issue that Pro was seeing with 3.0 where it migrated to 'Microsoft.Data.SqlClient'.  Any ideas?

0 Kudos
SusanHmel__DOIT_
New Contributor II

I was having the same issue with the error "Microsoft.Data.SqlClient is not supported on this platform." Same thing, upgrade from a 10.8.1 version using the ArcObjects SDK to using the ArcGIS Enterprise SDK 11.1. The SOE uses the SQL client to get some of the service data back from the source DB. 

The SOE compiled successfully and even registered successfully as an extension in ArcGIS Server Manager. As noted, I got the "Microsoft.Data.SqlClient is not supported on this platform." error once I tried to assign it as a capability to Map service. 

We requested support from ESRI on the issue and it has been identified as a bug (BUG-000158547) and should be resolved in a future release. However, I was also provided with a workaround that is working so far. 

The compiled SOE  found in bin folder that is copied to the server can be unpacked and updated - as in, rename the extension to ".zip" and you can expose the install files that are packaged up in the SOE. The compile folder also contains a folder of runtimes that has an updated version of the Microsoft.Data.SqlClient.dll, (bin\Debug\net6.0\runtimes\win\lib\net6.0) and I was able to copy that dll into the SOE Install directory, rename the file back to the SOE extension and update the SOE on the server. Then worked as a capability with the Map service I assigned it to without errors. Hoping this helps!

MichaelSnook

Hi

I tried this workaround and it didn't seem to work.  The SOE deploys on Server successfully but it throws an error when the service that uses it's capability is attempted a start:

CLSID for Type MapServer is not registered

@SusanHmel__DOIT_  are you able to successfully use the Microsoft.Data.SqlClient in your SOE after your workaround?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
SusanHmel__DOIT_
New Contributor II

The workaround solved the issue with the "Microsoft.Data.SqlClient is not supported on this platform." error when the service was started for me--  the first 1 or 2 times I didn't get that error I got other errors that were related to other parts of the SOE code - the main one being an SQL Exception error -

A connection was successfully established with the server, but then an error occurred during the login process. (provider: SSL Provider, error: 0 - The certificate chain was issued by an authority that is not trusted.)]

I update my connection details to work around that for my particular SOE, recompiled, re-instituted the Microsoft.Data.SqlClient.dll file replacement and replaced the SOE. It's working as expected.

If you are getting past the Microsoft.Data.SqlClient.dll error then you may want to look for other issues with your SOE code that are throwing the "CLSID for Type MapServer is not registered" error.

Out of curiosity:

Did you start with the 11.1 SOE template in VS, and did you include .Net Extension Support in your ArcGIS server installation?

0 Kudos