Change the ArcGIS Server Upgrade Text

11-20-2021 11:55 AM
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

A trifle, really, but can the text displayed by Server Manager during the upgrade process be tweaked? I see this:

Please wait while the upgrade completes. This may take several minutes based on the site configuration....

In the upgrades I've done at my organization (waiting for the 4th to complete as I type this), none has come even remotely close to a duration I would bother measuring in minutes. Several hours would be more like it. But maybe my org is an anomaly in this respect?

How about "This may take a considerable amount of time based on the site configuration. Go see a movie and come back later."?

I would be curious if other Portal administrators experience similarly long waits at this step. It's usually around 3 hours here.

6 Comments
BillFox

I think my last update to 10.7 took 6 to 8 hours for enterprise (non-ha).

Preparing for 10.7 ha to 10.9.1 ha now and hoping it is not double that.

BillFox

I just read this in the 10.9.1 Issues Addressed List

Installation and Upgrades

ENH-000144143

https://support.esri.com/en/download/7954

ENH-000144143 Optimize Portal for ArcGIS for faster installation, upgrade, and patching performance.

...using zip files? how much faster? @JonathanQuinn  @George_Thompson 

JonEmch

@BillFox 

I can comment on this, standing up a new Enterprise portal took me about 15 minutes. Haven't played with upgrading yet... but I've heard from others that this experience was drastically improved, at least in windows. Not sure how ArcGIS Server was affected (effected?) by this, but I'll get back to you. 

MichaelAugust

I'm staring at the little blue striped progress bar now, it's been 45 minutes already...I'll edit this post when it finishes and post my time, I just googled "Please wait until the upgrade completes." and found this post.

I don't remember how long this particular step takes but all of our Enterprise upgrades have taken at least 8 hrs to complete.  We are not what I'd consider a large company either, we are currently going from 10.8.1 to 10.9.1 and it's 3:30 PM, we started at 7:30 AM this morning...and I still have web adaptor for Server and Data Store left to install so yeah, def could be faster.

Update: FYI it ended right around 4:30 - that's a big improvement from our past updates -- roughly 2hrs to complete just that "Continue Server Upgrade" portion of the install.

JoeHeggenstaller

This is how we usually describe to people how long our upgrades will take.Portal for ArcGIS Install time.png

Laura
by MVP Regular Contributor

Mine also takes hours upon multiple days to complete it all - huge hassle for me and the users