Put REST services directory behind authentication

03-06-2024 05:47 AM
EricEagle
Occasional Contributor III

The current functionality: REST services directory is either on (publicly available) or off (disabled) in an ArcGIS Enterprise setup with federated ArcGIS Servers.

The problem: We are in an organization where we have to disable access to any resources that do not require authentication.  This means shutting off the REST services directory(ies) in an ArcGIS Enterprise.  However we have developers and data scientists who would benefit from access to this directory.

The solution: place the REST services directory(ies) that are part of an Enterprise behind the same authentication regime set in the Portal.

If this is already possible to configure, please let me know - as I am operating under the assumption that this is not currently possible.

3 Comments
clt_cabq

you can set security on folders within ArgGIS Server Manager - is this what you are looking for? You'll have to set up roles and credentials (username and password) for the people you want to have access. There may be an SSO approach to this but I'm not sure if that is implemented in Server Manager or not.

clt_cabq_1-1709734215602.png

EricEagle

@clt_cabq Interesting, thanks for the tip!  I will take a closer look at that.  We do not set up Enterprise accounts (everything is via LDAP) but as long as we can demonstrate that there is some auth check (e.g., is there a session token) we should be able to open it up to all users.

EricEagle

UPDATE: @clt_cabq So, no this is not what we're looking for.  Our ArcGIS Servers are federated in an Enterprise setup and no such controls exist for that.  We have put in a feature request with Esri but I will leave this idea open just in case other users are interested in giving it a thumbs up.