ArcGIS Enterprise 10.9 base deployment in AWS

10-10-2023 02:48 AM
ThomasPuthusserry
New Contributor III

I have the following setup in AWS using; ArcGIS Enterprise Cloud Builder for Amazon Web Services (Windows). The version is 10.9 and I would like to upgrade this to 11.1 (before I do this in the production version, I would like to test and establish the process in a copy)

I took an AMI of the base deployment and launched test instance in the same VPC of the live instance. The SSL is wildcard and CA certified and hence assigned to a different domain name. (original: maps.mydomain.com; test is maps1.ourdomain.com)

The portal's webadaptor is re-configured and updated the domain urls via: /portal/portaladmin/system/properties

This make the portal loading and working fine.

I have come across two issues with server webadaptor:

1. The private IP of the original base instance is linked to the arcgis server webadaptor and reinstalling /reconfiguring it not updating to the new private IP. I tried to the edit the webadaptor.config json file, but no success. The arcgis server site is not loading: error is no site is available.

2. The hosting server is not validated  when connected from Portal.

Any suggestions how I can get the server side working?

Thomas

0 Kudos
3 Replies
HarishKV
Occasional Contributor

Take a backup of the portal items. Remove the federation & CA Certificates. Uninstall your Portal and Web Adaptor. Start your Installation and configuration again.

0 Kudos
MingLee
Esri Contributor

When you took an AMI and relaunched a new instance, assume that it took on new Internal IPs? If so, I would uninstall both your web adaptors and check that you can still access portal and server on ports 7443 and 6443 respectively. If so, then reinstall the webadaptors -- using the new internal IP of the VM to register them. You can use their FQDNs but internal IP is fine, so long as they don't change. 

0 Kudos
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

You will run into known issues trying to use an AMI backup of an EC2 Instance with ArcGIS Enterprise Deployment with Portal + Server + Datastore to create a clone machine.

If this was only an ArcGIS Server machine then there is no problem, you could use the AMI to create a new machine, but you need to uninstall the webadaptor for ArcGIS Server and install it again, this because the new machine has a new private IP address.

The machine with Portal this does not work, unless you create the new machine with exactly the same Private IP, there is no other way to fix this, nor a workaround that I am aware. You will simply break the Portal installation if you change the private IP.

Now let's say that you manage to create a new VPC and you create the new machine using the AMI backup and the new machine has the same Private IP address of the original ec2 instance, next you will need to create a new External URL and a new SSL Certificate and add the certificate to the Webserver of the new machine, then you will need to edit the "webcontextURL" in the Portal Admin and in Server Admin of the new machine, only then the new External URL that resolves to the new Elastic Public IP that is mapped to the new ec2 instance will work as expected.

I hope this helps.

| Marcelo Marques | Principal Product Engineer | Esri |
| Cloud & Database Administrator | OCP - Oracle Certified Professional |
I work with Enterprise Geodatabases since 1997.
“ I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Isimov
0 Kudos