Annotation exporting outside data frame V10

05-12-2011 07:31 AM
AustinStreetman
New Contributor III
Running ArcGIS 10 SP2, when I export to PDF, annotation from a V9.3 file Geodatabase shows up in the margins of the map, outside of the data frame.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
63 Replies
MaximSilin
New Contributor III
One of my clients had a similar issue in ArcGIS 10.0 SP5 (see the screenshot). Upon investigation, several inset annotation feature classes have been identified to be causing the problem. The issue was resolved by grouping the faulty layers.

Max
0 Kudos
BarbaraSimpson
New Contributor II
Greetings -

I am using ArcGIS 10.1 and this issues still exists. I have tried several work arounds but the text/annotation still bleeds into the margins. Some of the work arounds tried are exporting to various extents. The jpg mentioned in an earlier thread did not work for me. I also tried to print to PDF, that did not work.

Until the bug is fixed the donut solution seems to be it.
0 Kudos
LillianJohnson
New Contributor
What is the donut solution
0 Kudos
AustinStreetman
New Contributor III
What is the donut solution

1.In Layout view, create a graphic rectangle that goes out the edge of the page. (can use guides for this)
2.Create another rectangle the same size as the Data Frame, align to the data frame
Select rectangle 2, then rectangle 1, and choose Drawing --> Graphic Opperations --> Subtract. You will now have a square doughnut graphic that frames your Data Frame.
3.Send the new graphic to the back
4.Send the Data Frame to the back
5.Set the graphic to have the same border you want your Data Frame to have.
Now when you export, the square doughnut graphic will mask anything that hangs out of the Data Frame.
0 Kudos
NolanBecker
New Contributor
Greetings -

I am using ArcGIS 10.1 and this issues still exists. I have tried several work arounds but the text/annotation still bleeds into the margins. Some of the work arounds tried are exporting to various extents. The jpg mentioned in an earlier thread did not work for me. I also tried to print to PDF, that did not work.

Until the bug is fixed the donut solution seems to be it.

We are running ArcGIS 10.1 as well and are also still experiencing this issue.  Text/annotation not only bleeds into the margins on pdfs, but also when we print paper copies of the map.
0 Kudos
BretFenster
New Contributor
Thanks for the grouping workaround!
ArcGIS 10 SP5, Server SP5, SDE SP5
Win 7 64 SP 1
Exports and map printing are kind of important to my work flow!

SOLUTION (at least for me): I had the same problem with annotations showing up outside the data frame when both exporting to .pdf and when printing the .mxd straight from Arc.  Even using a .pdf printer did not fix it.  I grouped all my layers into one large group in the data frame and the problem was solved.  I have wasted so much time on this. 

PLEASE FIX THIS ESRI!
0 Kudos
MarkFawkes
Occasional Contributor
The grouping technique worked for me:

ArcGIS 10 (not 10.1) SP5
Map annotation (not gdb)

Now if we could only have an explanation as to why grouping the layers worked!
0 Kudos
BillClingman
New Contributor
The grouping did not work for me, but another suggestion further back in this thread did the trick: selecting the anno elements within the map frame, but not selecting the ones right along the edges, and creating a selection layer in the TOC.  Use that layer instead of the source anno, and your export will be clean.   Not ideal, by any means, but a workaround.  I am using gdb annotation with 10.0 SP2

Bill C.
Eugene Oregon
0 Kudos
CarlTownsend1
New Contributor III
Same freaking problem here, arcmap 10, sp5. I'm wasting so much time on this...arcmap 10 has slowed me down to a crawl - not just with this but with loads of other things... I wasted several hours of my life yesterday updating several hundred field records one by one because the freaking field calculator doesn't work (yes, another arcmap 10 'feature' ) sigh.

Worst release ever.
0 Kudos
CarlTownsend1
New Contributor III
OK,

I've found a very quick 'n dirty workaround. The grouping method didn't work for me; in fact it made things worse because annotation that was grouped together also started appearing, and persisted after I ungrouped them.

Here's what you do:

1) Select all the offending labels that are appearing outside the data frame

2) right-click > cut
The labels will be removed

3) Quickly export to pdf/print mxd etc.

4) Edit > Undo Delete Features to put your labels back.
0 Kudos