Annotation exporting outside data frame V10

05-12-2011 07:31 AM
AustinStreetman
New Contributor III
Running ArcGIS 10 SP2, when I export to PDF, annotation from a V9.3 file Geodatabase shows up in the margins of the map, outside of the data frame.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
63 Replies
MarkFawkes
Occasional Contributor
The grouping technique worked for me:

ArcGIS 10 (not 10.1) SP5
Map annotation (not gdb)

Now if we could only have an explanation as to why grouping the layers worked!

And I subsequently edited the map and returned to the old problem - grouping and regrouping did not change the behaviour.
0 Kudos
LaurenWinkler2
New Contributor III
This error is still occurring. I submitted it as an idea on ArcGIS Ideas.

If you're having the same issue, please vote on the idea:
https://c.na9.visual.force.com/apex/ideaView?id=087E00000004T7Z&returnUrl=%2Fapex%2FideaList%3Fc%3D0...
0 Kudos
LaurenWinkler2
New Contributor III
I found a solution!

Go to Data Frame Properties > Data Frame.

Under Clip Options, choose Clip to Shape, click Specify Shape, and choose the Current Visible Extent.

Be sure to turn off the clipping if you pan to a different area.
0 Kudos
ErinNovakovich
New Contributor III
The best solution I've found is to remake the map from the beginning. Just drag layers into a blank map and redo the layout and graphics. Unfortunately its time consuming but pretty effective.
Good Luck to you all 🙂
GIS Analyst for AK
0 Kudos
marieducharme
Occasional Contributor
I' had this issue again last week...(such a waste of time- and it always seems to happen when a deadline is looming.....lol)

Anyway, I frantically tried many different solutions/work-around suggested here. Thanks everyone for sharing your tricks.

I stubbornly did not want to use the "donut-solution"....I wanted to "fix" it!

In this case, I did find a solution...The data frame of the map that I was having trouble with was rotated by -12.5 degrees. When I changed the rotation to 347.5 degrees (same rotation, different way of asking Arcmap to do it) my map exported perfectly. Maybe this work around will help another user out there.

Best of luck all of you fellows!

(and shame on ESRI for not posting anything in the entire, 2 year long thread!) This is a nasty nasty bug, that can really delay production!
0 Kudos
EricPieniak
New Contributor II
Using 10.1 on 64 bit win 7 machine, have the same issue. With multiple views on top of main layout view - main view bleeds out past margin and inner views bleed out into main view.  I'm too picky for this be in my product.  The bleed out to margins was resolved with all layers in one group.  the inner views did not get fixed this way.  The other masking work-around will not work for these views.  I'm graphic texting them, but may try view clipping by graphic, next, if I can find some time.
0 Kudos
JohnMacdonald1
New Contributor
SOLUTION (at least for me): I had the same problem with annotations showing up outside the data frame when both exporting to .pdf and when printing the .mxd straight from Arc.  Even using a .pdf printer did not fix it.  I grouped all my layers into one large group in the data frame and the problem was solved.  I have wasted so much time on this. 

PLEASE FIX THIS ESRI!

Thanks. We've just run into this problem and this works for us. It's a little cumbersome but it has allowed us to keep going. In our case it's point shape files exporting and/or printing outside the dataframe. The shape files are created by GPSeismic. This is the same workflow we've used for years and we've never run into this until last month. Copying all layers into a new dataframe seemed to work for a while but the problem came back. Neither recreating the shapes or changing their styles works.
At the end of the day the fundamental purpose of this software is to create maps, this bug makes that very difficult. Why is it not getting fixed?
0 Kudos
EricPieniak
New Contributor II
I have 10.2 now, and I went back to the maps that were giving me trouble when I reported this issue - when I was using 10.1.  I turned the labeling back on for the particular layers bleeding out, and no bleed.  It appears ESRI has fixed this issue in 10.2 - I cannot recreate the problem.
0 Kudos
JohnMacdonald1
New Contributor
That's good to know. The computers experiencing these issues are all 10.1. We will upgrade and see if the problem goes away.

Thanks for the reply!
0 Kudos
EricPieniak
New Contributor II
10.2 has likely addressed this. Print spooling in windows 7 behaves different than XP - could also effect print previews and print to pdf.  I bring this up because our IT dept. has finally allowed us to instal service pack 1 - I don't know if SP1 resolves print spool issues. So would be the only other thing I can think of that is different in my machine.  I wish I would have checked the issues at each install/update, but it is working fine in 10.2 with Win 7 SP1.  It would be nice if ESRI(among other vendors) were more transparent to issues - well..... lets not talk about transperency issues and printing in the same paragraph, lol.
0 Kudos