Cannot share non-owned items to groups in Portal

11-17-2022 08:36 AM
RyanUthoff
Occasional Contributor III

I'm currently using ArcGIS Enterprise 10.9.1 and am having an issue that did not previously exist in our 10.6.1 environment.

Using a Portal account with admin permissions, I cannot share items owned by another user to any groups. Both members (myself and the person who owns that item) are in the group I am trying to share the item to. I've verified in the group settings that anyone in the group can contribute content. 

This was not an issue in 10.6.1. I was able to share items, regardless of who they are owned by, to any group, as long as the item owner was also in that group.

Is this expected behavior in 10.9.1? If not, is there anything I need to do differently to be able to share content not owned by myself?

0 Kudos
15 Replies
RyanUthoff

Yep, same for me. I'm going to assume it is a bug. I'll open a support case. If it's not a bug, then Esri definitely needs some better messaging instead of a green success message.

Scott_Tansley
MVP Regular Contributor

Sorry I couldn't offer more than a confirmation of what you're seeing and a workaround.

Scott Tansley
https://www.linkedin.com/in/scotttansley/
0 Kudos
RyanUthoff

I appreciate the help! It makes me feel better when someone other than me can reproduce a bug/issue.

0 Kudos
RyanUthoff

Just an update: Esri Support confirmed it was a bug. BUG-000154091

Jaivik_P
New Contributor III

Hi @RyanUthoff 

We recently moved to 10.9.1 and experiencing same issue. Glad I came to this discussion and found that its a bug. 

Update on BUG - 000154091 which seems to be a duplicate of BUG - 000150953:

The issue is resolved in Portal 11.0 (which is unfortunate that Esri didn't provide solution as patch for 10.9.1). 

For 10.9.1, the workarounds are as listed below:

• The issue only occurs when the administrator attempts to share private items owned by another with a group they both belong to. If the sharing level of the item is updated to Organization or Everyone, then the administrator can share the item with the group. However, this workaround may not be acceptable or appropriate in cases where the item cannot be shared beyond the group.
  • Request the item owner to share the item with the group.
  • The administrator can change the ownership of the item to themselves, then share the item with the group. After sharing, change the ownership back to the original item owner.

Hope this helps for users who are experiencing the same issue and finds this discussion.

Thanks,

Jaivik

Laura
by MVP Regular Contributor
MVP Regular Contributor

I am in 11.2 and experiencing the same issue.