Change Basemap Gallery

Jump to solution
12-01-2023 12:49 PM
shildebrand
Occasional Contributor

I've found instructions on how to create a custom basemap gallery in AGOL, but is there a way to do this in your organization's portal?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
TonyContreras_Frisco_TX
Occasional Contributor III

Is this what you are looking for?

Customize Basemaps

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
RobertCollins
Esri Contributor

Hi again, 

Sorry to hear that it was difficult to follow initially. It was halfway down the page at the the following spot (Customize basemaps—Portal for ArcGIS | Documentation for ArcGIS Enterprise).

I can confirm it will update the basemap gallery used by ArcGIS Pro.

ArcGIS Pro will take the default basemap gallery from the Portal (or AGOL) that the user is signed into. A user can check which Portal they are signed into at the top right of the screen when in ArcGIS Pro. 

Reach out if you have any other questions 😀

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
TonyContreras_Frisco_TX
Occasional Contributor III

Is this what you are looking for?

Customize Basemaps

0 Kudos
RobertCollins
Esri Contributor

As has been mentioned above, you can have a custom basemap gallery in Portal as you can in AGOL and that is the correct documentation for configuration. 

The main steps are as follows - create a new Custom Basemap Gallery Group in Portal, add the basemaps that you would like to be visible and then set this new group as the Default Basemap Group in the Portal's Organisation page (this will require being an Administrator or a role with equivalent privileges). 

This allows you to share the following as custom basemaps:

• Existing basemaps (such as the global basemaps from the default basemap gallery)
  • Web maps
0 Kudos
shildebrand
Occasional Contributor

Thank you, I think this solves the issue.  Do you know if this will change the basemaps available within ArcGIS Pro?  This would be ideal to have access to the same basemaps there as well.

RobertCollins
Esri Contributor

Hi again, 

Sorry to hear that it was difficult to follow initially. It was halfway down the page at the the following spot (Customize basemaps—Portal for ArcGIS | Documentation for ArcGIS Enterprise).

I can confirm it will update the basemap gallery used by ArcGIS Pro.

ArcGIS Pro will take the default basemap gallery from the Portal (or AGOL) that the user is signed into. A user can check which Portal they are signed into at the top right of the screen when in ArcGIS Pro. 

Reach out if you have any other questions 😀

0 Kudos
shildebrand
Occasional Contributor

Kinda.  It talks about setting up the group for the basemap gallery, but doesn't say how to set that group as the default gallery

0 Kudos
OskarPenje1
New Contributor II

Thanks Robert. Seems there is no way to revert after having shared the esri basemaps. How can we "unshare" those with our gallery? 

OskarPenje1_0-1713869433584.png

0 Kudos
RobertCollins
Esri Contributor

Hi, 

I see the confusion. Upon choosing "Share basemaps" this will add the default Esri basemaps into the Group earmarked as the Group used for the Basemap Gallery across the AGOL or Portal Organisation. (The Esri basemaps will be in the Baskartor group in the screenshot). 

If you navigate to the Group itself, each basemap will be an item shared to the Group. You can choose to individually remove each basemap from the Group from the Group Contents page. 

• Go to the Group Content pane, click the basemap item and under the Share dropdown, select Access and Update Capabilities. Untick the Group in question. 

This should do the trick!

0 Kudos