Data Store Backups Not Auto Deleting

11-21-2023 07:15 AM
ahagopian_coj
Occasional Contributor

Hello!  Our data store backups up every 4 days with a retention policy of 7 days.  I think these are all the default settings.  However, the backup files never delete, not ever.  Does anyone know how to get the files to delete per the policy?  I ran the describedatastore utility and it says it is suppose to be I had 3 months of backups, not just 7 days.  I have scoured the Enterprise Documentation and this forum but haven't seen anything on a fix to this behavior on our datastore server.  Has anyone fixed this issue?

Thanks!

8 Replies
Dan_Brumm
Occasional Contributor II

I have 4 enterprise systems, none of them remove the DS backups, ever... I have gotten used to manually deleting every monday. 

Daniel Brumm
GIS Nerd
0 Kudos
abureaux
MVP Regular Contributor

Do you mean the webgisdr temp files? I recall an Esri rep mentioning that was intentionally unintentional. They assumed that if you ran webgisdr once, you would then do so on a regular basis. As a result, the temp backup files would accumulate until the service was called again. This would only happen if you manually ran webgisdr once, and I don't think you can stop it after that point (not that setting up webgisdr as a service is that hard, which is probably the better solution anyways).

Assuming we are talking about those webgisdr temp files, and your webgisdr service is set to run regularly, you shouldn't see those temp files accumulating beyond the scheduled interval.

0 Kudos
ahagopian_coj
Occasional Contributor

We don't use webgisdr at all.  This are the backups using the backup datastore utility on the datastore server.

0 Kudos
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

The exact same thread exists here:

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-enterprise-questions/data-store-backups-not-being-deleted/td-p/...

Basically you have to schedule a data store service stop start. Upon start, any datastore backups older than the retain policy will be deleted.

ahagopian_coj
Occasional Contributor

I did see that thread but we regularly stop/start our data store service and the backups older than the retention policy never delete...not ever.

0 Kudos
JimJimerson
New Contributor

Unfortunately in our case the retain policy isn't being honoured and the backup files remain. 10.9.1

0 Kudos
ahagopian_coj
Occasional Contributor

We have learned from support that behavior has been replicated by ESRI support and has been logged as a bug. They are not going to fix it and we left on our own to find a workaround or upgrade to 11.0.  We can't upgrade right now.

0 Kudos
JimJimerson
New Contributor

Did you find a solution? What bug number is this related to?

0 Kudos