Intermittently Unable to Create Hosted Feature Services

2 weeks ago
Labels (1)
RyanUthoff
Occasional Contributor III

I'm having an issue where we are intermittently unable to create hosted feature services using ArcGIS Enterprise 11.2 on Windows. This includes creating hosted feature services directly through the Portal UI as well as creating Survey123 forms.

The only error message I receive is: Create Service exception 'java.lang.Exception: Exception: Read timed out'

Survey123 explicitly gives that error message, while Portal gives a generic error message in the web page, but I can see the same error message when viewing the internet traffic. It is a read timed out error, but it usually fails within seconds of attempting to create a hosted feature service.

Esri is not producing any error messages in the Portal, Server, or Data Store logs when this error occurs. This one error message is literally the only error message I'm seeing.

This has happened to multiple people at various times with various hosted feature services/S123 forms, including Esri's template hosted feature services you can create through Portal.

I'm working with Esri support on this one, but does anyone else have any ideas on what this could be? We've already ruled out anti-virus/firewall and the ArcGIS Data Store successfully validates through Server Manager.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
CodyPatterson

Hey @RyanUthoff

Are you using a Reverse Proxy at all? From the sound of it at a surface level, something isn't communicating correctly as it's timing out. I would possibly check Wireshark traffic when creating a hosted feature layer through this method along with possibly using Fiddler on the requester side, this will see requests go through a proxy. Along with this it may be a certificate issue, support hounded me on certificate issues with an Enterprise setup, and even though it didn't fix anything and was not the issue, it may fix something in your case!

Hope that helps!

Cody

0 Kudos
RyanUthoff

Thanks for replying back! We're just using Esri's web adaptor and not any third party reverse proxies or anything like that. Support did have me attempt to create a hosted feature service on the Portal machine itself, using the local machine name URL which bypasses all the web adaptors and I continue to experience the same error. So I'm thinking with that troubleshooting step, we've at least ruled out anything on the web adaptor side of things. I didn't think to check the certificates, so I'll verify those. I think I've heard of certificate issues causing random issues, so I'll check that out. Thank you!

0 Kudos
A_Wyn_Jones
Esri Contributor

Is the IPV6 network adapter enabled on the machine? There's a bug in 11.2 that breaks communications to Datastore if this adapter is disabled.

It's been discussed here with workarounds:https://community.esri.com/t5/publishing-and-managing-services-questions/publish-not-working-after-f...

I wouldn't expect this to be intermittent in your case though, may help get to the bottom of it!

"We've boosted the Anti-Mass Spectrometer to 105 percent. Bit of a gamble, but we need the extra resolution."
0 Kudos
RyanUthoff

Thank you for the reply! Our IPV6 is disabled, but the behavior we're experiencing appears to be different than the behavior outlined in the geonet post you linked though. Also, we started experiencing this issue in 10.9.1, so as long as this bug is new to 11.2, then I don't think that would explain the issue we're experiencing.

0 Kudos