Symbology, Multiple Attributes, Quantity by category

10-26-2011 01:10 PM
AndrewCain1
New Contributor II
Hello,

I am looking for concrete directions on how to correctly use the Multiple Attributes - Quantity by category dialog (under Layer Properties > Symbology) to map a set of features based on 2 values.  One of the values will be represented by color while the other value (for the same feature) will be represented by symbol size.  This seems like a pretty common way to represent data but I am not able to find a concrete answer as to exactly how to use this symbology "tool" to accomplish this task.  I was hoping someone might be an "expert" using this symbology "tool" and could offer up some advice.  I have been able to get the the desired results using this symbology "tool" but if I had to repeat the process I would really have to play around with all the settings untill it came out right.  This is obviously not very efficient but as I have yet to find detailed enough directions on using this tool it is my only option.

All and any help is appreciated!  Thank you in advance,
-Andy
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
JillWilson
New Contributor
I am having the same problem.  The ESRI Help entry on this is not helpful.
0 Kudos
JamesSimard1
New Contributor III
Hi Andy. If you are able to symbolize each category manually (if not too many) you could save as a layer file. Then the next time you need to symbolize a layer based on the multiple attribute symbology you could import the layer file and select the correct attribute fields. If the values would be radically different each time then that may not work well.

I was also unable to get the color AND size to change using the tools provided, I had to do it manually.

James

Hello,

I am looking for concrete directions on how to correctly use the Multiple Attributes - Quantity by category dialog (under Layer Properties > Symbology) to map a set of features based on 2 values.  One of the values will be represented by color while the other value (for the same feature) will be represented by symbol size.  This seems like a pretty common way to represent data but I am not able to find a concrete answer as to exactly how to use this symbology "tool" to accomplish this task.  I was hoping someone might be an "expert" using this symbology "tool" and could offer up some advice.  I have been able to get the the desired results using this symbology "tool" but if I had to repeat the process I would really have to play around with all the settings untill it came out right.  This is obviously not very efficient but as I have yet to find detailed enough directions on using this tool it is my only option.

All and any help is appreciated!  Thank you in advance,
-Andy
0 Kudos