Select to view content in your preferred language

Unable to revert Server Authentication Tier (Arcgis Portal)

08-15-2022 03:44 AM
utility9213
New Contributor III

Good day everyone,

I am having trouble reverting my server security configuration. I changed the Authentication Tier due to some issues deleting a server item. The tier was switched to "GIS_SERVER" and now I am trying to change it back to "ARCGIS_PORTAL". However, this returns an error whenever I try to revalidate the server federation status.

The error message "Error: The server at server:6643/eg/eg/" returned an error. Could not decrypt token. Token may not be valid" is returned each time I try to revalidate. 

What could be the possible issues or fix for this.. please do help. Do let me know if any additional information is required. 

Thank you 🙂

0 Kudos
1 Reply
ChristopherPawlyszyn
Esri Contributor

Changing the authentication tier of a federated server site is equivalent to unfederating and the site cannot be easily switched back without unregistering from Portal's Sharing/REST endpoint and re-federating, which comes with its own set of challenges.

At this point to revert I would consider what backups you have available of the configuration store for the site prior to changing the authentication tier. That information is contained within the config-store/security/security-config.json file so even a file-based backup would be useful in this case.

-- Chris Pawlyszyn