Using Google Imagery in ArcGIS

04-20-2010 01:54 PM
MichaelTrevino
New Contributor II
Is there a way to use Google's Imagery in your ArcGIS map? I know you can use their street layers and such...I am looking for a way to do this either through GIS Servers probably by adding a WMS Server or a WCS Server? I think. So if thats the case I think I just need the correct URL to plug in...again I think...:) Thats why I'm asking.

Tanks in Advance!
Tags (2)
22 Replies
SeanBloom
New Contributor

I've heard this question come up alot and I have to ask why try and use Google Earth imagery when there are better and easier options out there?

FallTroy,

For me, the reason I would love to have access to Google imagery has nothing to do with resolution or accuracy.  In my region of the US, the imagery offered by Google is often the most up-to-date.  Currently, Google Earth is publishing data from April of this year.  Whereas Bing and ESRI's data is a few years old.  This is important due to the quickly changing landscape I'm working in.
0 Kudos
MichaelCarson4
New Contributor III
I tried that tool. I am using ArcMap 10.1. The tool works for about 8 minutes, then ArcMap freezes and closes. I start a new ArcMap session and the same thing happens. Too bad, this tool is helpful if it works.
0 Kudos
gis2cad
New Contributor
0 Kudos