What is the difference between sharing using Portal interface and Server Manager interface?

Jump to solution
06-10-2022 07:30 AM
Labels (1)
HeatherM_JDI
New Contributor III

When publishing services to a federated ArcGIS Server, what is the difference between configuring the share settings via the Portal interface and using Server Manager?

We have some applications where we've noted that sharing via Server Manager is the required workflow, then it is very confusing to review sharing settings in Portal where it looks like the content is not shared at all. For example, the two screenshots below are from the same feature service.

We are using Server and Enterprise 10.9.1 currently. 

Thanks!

HeatherM_JDI_0-1654871242097.png

HeatherM_JDI_1-1654871311641.png

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi @HeatherM_JDI,

When publishing services to a federated ArcGIS Server, what is the difference between configuring the share settings via the Portal interface and using Server Manager?

In the case of a federated ArcGIS Server with an enterprise portal, there is no difference. The resultant behavior is the same.

> ... where we've noted that sharing via Server Manager is the required workflow, then it is very confusing to review sharing settings in Portal where it looks like the content is not shared at all. 

Basically in the two screenshots you posted, ArcGIS Enterprise offers the ability to enable sharing of web services at the ArcGIS Server tier and at the enterprise portal tier. Apologies for the confusing UI/UX - this is likely a byproduct if how ArcGIS Enterprise has evolved over time. When Portal for ArcGIS (aka. the enterprise portal) was first released, it was optional to federate ArcGIS Server with it. WIth each Enterprise release, the Enterprise base deployment is now a "standard" deployment pattern, but the UI/UX is still available in both Enterprise components.

Hope this helps, 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi @HeatherM_JDI,

In the case of a federated ArcGIS Server with an enterprise portal, there is no difference. The resultant behavior is the same.

> ... where we've noted that sharing via Server Manager is the required workflow, then it is very confusing to review sharing settings in Portal where it looks like the content is not shared at all. 

Basically in the two screenshots you posted, ArcGIS Enterprise offers the ability to enable sharing of web services at the ArcGIS Server tier and at the enterprise portal tier. Apologies for the confusing UI/UX - this is likely a byproduct if how ArcGIS Enterprise has evolved over time. When Portal for ArcGIS (aka. the enterprise portal) was first released, it was optional to federate ArcGIS Server with it. WIth each Enterprise release, the Enterprise base deployment is now a "standard" deployment pattern, but the UI/UX is still available in both Enterprise components.

Hope this helps, 

0 Kudos
Brian_Wilson
Occasional Contributor III

My current understanding: If you publish to Server and it's "federated" and then it lets its Portal know. If it's working correctly then Portal will create an entry for the service and it will show up there. If you publish to Portal it creates the service where it needs to be created, when it works. Otherwise you get an error message similar to "something went wrong, good luck" 

I'm not sure what happens when you DELETE on Server, that always scares me. 🙂 I am sure it's supposed to send the message over to Portal. I will say I have learned all the ways to delete services when things break on one side and still show up on the other.

HeatherM_JDI
New Contributor III

Thanks for the explanation Derek, very confusing UI/UX remnant for sure!

0 Kudos