ArcGIS Enterprise 11.2 Upgrade Warning if 11.1 ArcGIS Enterprise Sites Security Patch

Jump to solution
12-10-2023 08:49 AM
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

Hello - in preparing to pull the trigger on our 11.1 to 11.2 I ran a final search here and elsewhere in the geonet community as well at the Patches and Updates site:  This was just released:

https://support.esri.com/en-us/patches-updates/2023/defective-arcgis-enterprise-patch

PATCHES AND UPDATES

IMPORTANT: Defective Portal for ArcGIS patch

Published: December 8, 2023

A defect has been identified in the Portal for ArcGIS Enterprise Sites Security Patch for 10.8.1, 10.9.1, and 11.1. This patch was initially released in late June 2023 and has been disabled for download as of October 12, 2023 while this defect is investigated. ArcGIS Enterprise 10.8.1, 10.9.1, and 11.1 deployments on Windows with this patch installed are affected by this issue. 

The ArcGIS Enterprise Development team is actively working on a fix. In the meantime, if you have installed this patch, it is critical to not install any additional Portal for ArcGIS patches or hot fixes, uninstall any Portal for ArcGIS patches including this defective Portal for ArcGIS Enterprise Sites Security Patch, or uninstall or upgrade your Portal for ArcGIS environment. This site will be updated with further details.

We are here to help.  If you have any questions regarding this information, please reach out to Esri Technical Support or your Esri account manager. 

Support did confirm.  Unfortunately, I do have this patch installed (although it may have installed properly back on 06/28/23, the patch notification tool continued to show the patch as available).

28 Replies
NicolasGIS
Occasional Contributor III

Many thanks for all your valuable inputs @DavidColey and @JonEmch.

So what is the best path to follow if we installed it ? Uninstall or wait for the “tooling” to be made available ? What is the risk of this patch? Any known issue we should be aware of ?

thanks

MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

I have a system with Patch B installed as well but so far, I did not face any problems, therefore I am only monitoring the situation with Patch B, when a "tool" becomes available or a new patch is released, then I will review my situation and decide when to run the tool and install any new patches.
Portal for ArcGIS Enterprise Sites Security Patch (esri.com)
Defective ArcGIS Enterprise patch (esri.com)

| Marcelo Marques | Principal Product Engineer | Esri |
| Cloud & Database Administrator | OCP - Oracle Certified Professional |
I work with Enterprise Geodatabases since 1997.
“ I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Isimov
JonEmch
Esri Regular Contributor

@NicolasGIS The Validation and Repair tool, along with the new version of the Portal for ArcGIS Enterprise Sites Security Patch C is now available for ArcGIS Enterprise 11.1. The instructions are to run the repair tool, the install the new version of the patch. Please access this patch here: https://support.esri.com/en-us/patches-updates/2023/portal-for-arcgis-enterprise-sites-security-patc...

Could you expand on "What is the risk of this patch? Any known issue we should be aware of ?"

Keep on keeping on!
NicolasGIS
Occasional Contributor III

Thanks @JonEmch  for your reply and announcement. 

Regarding your question, I was just trying to evaluate the problem of having patch B installed. 

A defect has been identified in the Portal for ArcGIS Enterprise Sites Security Patch 

or 

if you have installed this patch, it is critical to not install any additional Portal for ArcGIS patches or hot fixes, uninstall any Portal for ArcGIS patches including this defective Portal for ArcGIS Enterprise Sites Security Patch, or uninstall or upgrade your Portal for ArcGIS environment

or

is also causing an impact (I would not get into much details)

or

I can confirm that we are responding to a significant issue with the Portal for ArcGIS Enterprise Sites Security patch (B on 11.1) on ArcGIS Enterprise 10.8.1, 10.9.1, 11.1 running on Windows. If you have this patch installed, there is tooling coming that will fix this issue.

sounded scary. 

Hope it's clearer.

Thanks

JohnLivengood
New Contributor III

I've logged into my portal server (11.1) and now see instructions to download and install a portal for arcgis validation and repair tool.  Running this tool will identify Patch B as the defective patch and give you the option to uninstall it.  This tool is only available for 11.1 as of now.  

Once uninstalled, I can download and install the new (12/12/2023) Portal for ArcGIS Enterprise Sites Security Patch.  

I've successfully uninstalled patch B but have not installed the new security patch yet.  

https://support.esri.com/en-us/patches-updates/2023/portal-for-arcgis-enterprise-sites-security-patc... 

DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

I now see both the repair tool and the Patch C as available in the Patch Notification tool on our 11.1 as @JohnLivengood indicated above.  I plan on running both this evening (12/13/23) per @JonEmch instructions....

JonEmch
Esri Regular Contributor

@DavidColey 

I'm online, please let me know if you have questions.

Keep on keeping on!
0 Kudos
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

The repair tool to remove the patch and the patch C version both appeared in the Patch Notification tool and behave as expected.  The repair tool launches after install from the patch notification tool and on completion reads "portal ready to accept patches'.  Control Panel confirms the old patch removed.

At which point I download patch C, it launches as well, performs the install.  Control Panel confirms the updated patch in place. 

Thanks to all for the support on this....

JonEmch
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello folks,

We've made some substantial additions to our knowledge article on this issue: Defective Portal for ArcGIS Enterprise Sites Security Patch.

Please let me know if there are any questions, we are here to help.

Keep on keeping on!
0 Kudos
EricKriener
Occasional Contributor

is this fixed so that we can upgrade to 11.2?