ArcGIS Enterprise Sites - Hosted Feature Public Download

10-11-2022 12:53 PM
MoCoMapMan
New Contributor

Hello, 

I am somewhat new at GIS and am using an ArcGIS Enterprise (v.1.9.1) deployment with a federated server for my county's GIS program. I am attempting to setup a 'Sites' page within Portal to make downloads of our data easier for the public. Creating and setting up the page and content library is easy enough, but when accessing the feature services from a public source (not signed in), the download option for the data is not an option. The following message (also attached picture) is given in the area where it would normally list the download filetype options in the Content Library: 

"Some formats may not be available.
Download formats and updated files may be unavailable for anonymous access. Please either create an account or contact an administrator to enable these formats."

These are the steps I took to get these features to the point they are now at:
  1. Shared as a web layer (copy all feature data) to my Enterprise Portal from ArcGIS Pro. These features then show up as Feature Layer (Hosted) in my Portal content.
  2. Enabled the option under Settings to Export Data for each file as well as shared to Everyone (Public) within Portal.
  3. On my public 'Sites' page I created, I then added these same files to the Content Library. They then show up within this library as Feature Services with a shared setting of Public.
  4. I then try to access these files from my already logged in account and can see them fine and the option to download as a CSV, Shapefile, Excel, etc... appear. But when accessing the same files from the public (not logged in) source, the files are visible but not downloadable.

I feel like I am either missing a sharing setting somewhere or the filetypes (feature service)  is incorrect. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am at my wits end trying to figure out what the issue is. Please keep in mind that while I am familiar with ESRI programs and sites, I am not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, so pretend you're explaining this to a child  😆.

Thank you in advance!

5 Replies
moremeowbell
New Contributor III

Anyone find a resolution for this?

0 Kudos
MoCoMapMan
New Contributor

Hello moremeowbell, I never got a response from ESRI on this issue that really resolved anything. They simply said that the 'Sites' features are limited as to who has access to what. Not very helpful, I know.

What I ended up doing was just creating a 'Hub' through the ArcGIS Online account for the county instead of a Sites page. The Hub and Sites seem to me to be the same thing only with a different name, but the sharing works much, much better on the Hub. While this requires me to now upload and update data to ArcGIS Online as well as my Enterprise Portal, this was the only way I could find to make this data publicly available. Hopefully this helps, good luck!

0 Kudos
moremeowbell
New Contributor III

@MoCoMapMan Thanks for the response! Good to know that there are other options apart from Portal for this task. I'll reply back to this thread if I somehow get it figured out.

0 Kudos
AnthonyAtkins2
New Contributor III

Not sure if anyone else is dealing with this, but I just got off the phone with ESRI Support and unless your entire deployment is public facing, anonymous downloads are not enabled. So utilizing AGOL may be the only option currently.

0 Kudos
NAOMIPAUL
New Contributor III

We are having the same issue with 10.9.1. Utilizing AGOL is not an option due to the cost, which is why we moved to ArcGIS Enterprise (Portal).

0 Kudos