ArcGIS Server 10.2 Standard Workgroup limitations/details needed

09-10-2013 01:10 PM
BenjaminCalnin1
New Contributor
Ok, my colleague and I can't seem to get clear answers on a few questions over the phone/chat with ESRI, so I am posting it here in hopes of more concrete feedback. I hope these answers will also help others. We have each gotten a yes and a no to the exact same question, and don't want to spend $$$ on something that doesn't fit or exceeds our needs.
Thank you for your help in advance!

I am looking into getting ArcGIS Server 10.2 Standard Workgroup edition that works with SQL Express.
I intend to run a web accessible interface where users can explore map visualizations and download source data (shapefiles and associated tables) in some cases.

My details and things I am aware of:
- SQL express is limited to 10gb per database.
- My vector and tabular data is less than 10gb in total
- My imagery and GRID data is well over 10gb and will be used for visualization only at this point
- ArcGIS Server and SQL Express will be hosted on the same machine since the number of hits on the site will be minimal which complies with the licensing requirements for the Workgroup edition of ArcGIS Server
- At this point I only need read functions and download of data, no editing or analysis functions.

Here are my main questions:
1. Can a single web service access and display from more than a single SQL express database? If not, can there be multiple web services accessing different SQL databases hosted on the same machine under this license? Are multiple web services such as map services allowed on the same machine/license?

2. Can my imagery be stored outside of an SQL Express database and available for viewing within my web interface with my vector and tabular data therefore not being subject to the 10gb limitation? Is there another limitation I am not aware of?

3. Is the Imagery extension for ArcGIS server necessary for mosaicing and quick display of imagery? I recall using a script or third party solution for serving imagery with ArcIMS years ago that provided tiling functionality to decrease load times.

4. If it becomes necessary, will it be possible to share some specific imagery/GRID data with web users (assuming I am not beholden to the 10gb limitation)?

5. Can a single web mapping service access data from SQL Express database, Imagery, and a File Geodatabase at the same time and potentially allow this to be downloaded by a user?

6. Can I just host data to a map service using a file geodatabase and imagery and skip the SQL database?

7. If I just want to post a map service where people can view and download maps and data and a geodata service, do I really even need the Standard edition of ArcGIS server? Could I go with the Basic based on the limited functionality I need?

8. Is there a more limited upgrade cost as compared to purchasing an entire new license after having purchased a lesser licence?

7. Anything else I should take note of?

Thank you!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
KevinHibma
Esri Regular Contributor
A Map service (not feature, but map) can use data from different sources: workgroup (sql express), enterprise (sql server), file based (shapefiles, grids, etc), local geodatabase (file geodatabase), etc.
It can use one of these file types, some or all at the same time. It doesn't matter.
The technical details is when you're publishing this particular service you need to setup the data store entry, else it'll copy you data over to the server. But that's just a technical detail, it shouldn't impact your decision on the version of server you need.

My question to you is how do you want to display it and have them download it?
There's a common workflow involving geoprocessing: you put any/everything you could want a user to download in a map, and publish the map + geoprocessing service. The GP Service "Clips and Zips" the output, allowing the user to extract the layers and area they want. You can build a web application to do this, or they can consume it back in ArcMap. This would require the Standard version of Server, but sounds like it may do what you want?
If you're looking into a geodata service this is mostly for geodatabase replication. Read this small help topic, it should quickly tell you yes or no if thats fits into your workflow.

Also note, your question 7, you say "...post a web map and use a geodata service, and go with a lower level of Server (ie. Basic)..". Answering based on what I think you want, the answer is probably "no", as Basic server supports geodata and feature service, but not map services. This help topic outlines some of the high level differences. You could create a web application to consume the feature service, but you don't have raster support and I'm not sure how you'd "get the data".

Your questions on the imagery extension should be answered in the Functionality Matrix found here (pg8).

I guess to sum up, I go back to my question on how it is you want to display and have them download. Based on the points of differing data types and formats, I assume you'll be using a map service (which requires Standard).
Read some of the technical notes here regarding feature service deployment. A couple of the key points being: "All data must be from a single geodatabas"e and "Raster datasets not supported in a feature service." It's important to fully understand the difference between feature service and map service as you move forward.

Hope this has answered some of your questions as you plan you deployment.
0 Kudos