Azure ArcGIS to on-prem database

Jump to solution
08-18-2023 03:18 PM
asinha_ppc
New Contributor II

ArcGIS Enterprise 10.9.1 has been migrated to Azure.
Oracle 19.3 SDE feature Classes are on-prem.

Connecting, viewing and exporting databases is extremely slow with this configuration. Something that was taking a minute with on-prem ArcGIS Pro is now taking 20+ mins. While we were expecting some performance degradation, this seems excessive.

Our IT is not planning on moving Oracle to Azure in the near future. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

Unfortunately, there is no alternative for this problem. ArcGIS Enterprise Portal & Server must be on the same LAN Local Area Network of the Enterprise Geodatabases to have appropriate performance. Either keep the entire deployment on premises or move the entire stack to the cloud. The connection to databases requires high network bandwidth and low network latency, if you have the ArcGIS Enterprise in the Cloud and the Database on premises, or vice-versa, you have low bandwidth and high latency, therefore performance is expected to be very poor. This is very well-known.

| Marcelo Marques | Principal Product Engineer | Esri |
| Cloud & Database Administrator | OCP - Oracle Certified Professional |
I work with Enterprise Geodatabases since 1997.
“ I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Isimov

View solution in original post

5 Replies
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

Unfortunately, there is no alternative for this problem. ArcGIS Enterprise Portal & Server must be on the same LAN Local Area Network of the Enterprise Geodatabases to have appropriate performance. Either keep the entire deployment on premises or move the entire stack to the cloud. The connection to databases requires high network bandwidth and low network latency, if you have the ArcGIS Enterprise in the Cloud and the Database on premises, or vice-versa, you have low bandwidth and high latency, therefore performance is expected to be very poor. This is very well-known.

MichaelJenkins
Occasional Contributor III

Your IT department made a bad decision.   If this is what you are stuck with, you might be able to have an on-prem ArcGIS Server that connects to Oracle and is federated to your Azure hosted Portal.   That way the server and DB are close to each other and everything between server and Portal/clients is just web traffic. Or set up a DB in Azure and replicate data from on-prem to Azure on a schedule.

GISP
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

If using ArcGIS Pro Branch Versioning, then have the Entire Deployment on Premises or in the Cloud, avoid keeping Portal separate as suggested above. I understand that it might be possible to keep Portal in the Cloud and have Server + Databases on Premises, but this is still not ideal once Portal needs to be federated with Server, it not just about HTTPS traffic, there is other communication between Portal and Server behind the scenes, and the fact that in this scenario the HTTPS traffic between Portal and Server will have to cross at least 2 different firewalls. Hence, the recommendation that I always make to my customers is to have the entire stack deployed on Premises or in the Cloud to avoid other unexpected performance issues.

DevinBartley2
New Contributor III

Incase anyone is wondering, the inverse applies - you will experience similar problems if you try to use an on-prem ArcGIS Pro install connecting to a database in the cloud. The solution in the case that your ArcGIS Enterprise and database have been moved into the cloud is to put a ArcGIS Pro remote desktop in the same azure region as the database and enterprise install and connect from your local computer to that desktop for your ArcGIS Pro work. There are various GPU enabled options for this, some of which utilize partial GPU's and cost less. 

MichaelJenkins
Occasional Contributor III

Good point and an important one to mention.  It really is 'all or nothing'.  

GISP