Balancing ESRI-Native Apps and Asset Management Software

03-18-2024 12:39 PM
ZachBodenner
MVP Regular Contributor

Hello,

I'm doing some information gathering and hoping for advice or lessons learned.

My organization is a mid-size suburb local government. We have a pretty mature GIS deployment that includes several built-out programs that utilize egdb relationship classes to record inspections and work on particular features. Think tree inspections and removals, pedestrian ramp inspections, replacements to street signs, etc. 

We also have an asset management software that for the last decade or so has been exclusively used by the water utilities department. Conversely to the rest of the city, none of their work, inspections, etc have been done in ESRI apps - all have been recorded in this software. 

There's growing interest among other departments in tracking work in the asset management software, which I'm generally very in favor of. However, I don't really feel like all inspections or work done on any asset throughout the city needs to be tracked in a work order management system - some inspections are simple enough that a regular old gdb relationship should suffice. There are edge cases though, like with the tree inspections, where there could definitely be value in recording removals and treatments in a work order system, but the program has been running smoothly enough that I'm a little leery of stripping down so much or our existing GIS infrastructure. 

So, if you're in a similar situation, how do you balance this? Do you forego egdb relationships completely in favor of having all related work tracked in an AM? Do you split between the two? If so how? 

0 Replies