base table definition string is invalid

Jump to solution
09-05-2012 08:08 AM
PeterHoffman
Occasional Contributor
I am trying to start the first new service on a 10.1 server. It has one layer. I get this error message:

Error: service started with errors.
Machine: TEST [service instance is started with errors. The base table definition string "Coast_line" is invalid]*

I have r/w permissions on the data folder for the arcgis arcgis user.

Thanks,
46 Replies
RichardWatson
Frequent Contributor
I loaded ArcTutor and copied the folder "C:\arcgis\ArcTutor\Parcel Editing" to "C:\Users\Public\Documents".

I then tried to publish ParcelEditing.mxd as a map service using ArcMap.  It fails with the "base table definition string is invalid" error being discussed here.

ESRI support suggested adding the arcgis account to folder so I did.  No difference.  In fact I don't think that doing this should be necessary since the SERVICE group has access and both the ArcGISServer and ArcSOC processes are a member of the SERVICE group.

What does work to is to create a folder C:\GisData and then give the arcgis account access to it.  So there is a permission issue here but it is not related to the arcgis account.

Seems like a bug to me.  Let's see what ESRI support comes back with.
0 Kudos
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
I loaded ArcTutor and copied the folder "C:\arcgis\ArcTutor\Parcel Editing" to "C:\Users\Public\Documents".

I then tried to publish ParcelEditing.mxd as a map service using ArcMap.  It fails with the "base table definition string is invalid" error being discussed here.

ESRI support suggested adding the arcgis account to folder so I did.  No difference.  In fact I don't think that doing this should be necessary since the SERVICE group has access and both the ArcGISServer and ArcSOC processes are a member of the SERVICE group.

What does work to is to create a folder C:\GisData and then give the arcgis account access to it.  So there is a permission issue here but it is not related to the arcgis account.

Seems like a bug to me.  Let's see what ESRI support comes back with.

I have highlighted this issue in more than one thread but didn�??t get any solution

In my case, the data is stored in client machine and the user is trying to publish from this client machine where:
1. the folder containing the data is SHARED to the �??ArcGIS Server Account�?�
2. the �??ArcGIS Server Account�?� is granted full SECURITY on the folder containing the data
3. the folder contain the data is REGISTERED on the �??data store�?�

Nevertheless, I got the very frustrating messages like
1. �??packaging failed�?�
2. �??the data item is inaccessible�?�
3. �??Base definition table string is invalid�?�

How to
1. Store the data on the client machine
2. Publish from the client machine

Without having the abovementioned errors

Best

Jamal
----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
0 Kudos
LukeBehling
Occasional Contributor
I was having the same problem as is discussed in this thread. I was also getting this error:

Error: Error handling service request : Cannot obtain a free instance.; nested exception is: com.esri.arcgis.discovery.ejb.ArcGISServerEJBException: com.esri.arcgis.discovery.servicelib.AGSException: AutomationException: 0x80004005 - Unspecified error
Code: 500

Granting the ArcGIS Server user full security on the folder with my data resolved both problems.
0 Kudos
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
I was having the same problem as is discussed in this thread. I was also getting this error:

Error: Error handling service request : Cannot obtain a free instance.; nested exception is: com.esri.arcgis.discovery.ejb.ArcGISServerEJBException: com.esri.arcgis.discovery.servicelib.AGSException: AutomationException: 0x80004005 - Unspecified error
Code: 500

Granting the ArcGIS Server user full security on the folder with my data resolved both problems.

Thanks Luke,

Cheers

Jamal
----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
0 Kudos
DimaStikut
New Contributor
Had the same error when trying to deploy an SOE to a service.

Apparently, my arcgis account did not have full access to the folder which contains the SOE file. Once I've solved that, the error disappeard. Hopefully that helps someone
0 Kudos
MatthewLawton
Occasional Contributor
I was getting the same error messages after installing ArcGIS Server 10.1 on a new Windows Server 2008 R2 64-bit install, but the messages I received were followed by a SQL client connection error as well. Loading the SQL Server 2008 R2 client fixed it for me. See KB article 37287:

http://support.esri.com/es/knowledgebase/techarticles/detail/37287

The SQL Client for 2008 R2 64-bit is available here:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=188401&clcid=0x409
0 Kudos
TimDonoyou
Occasional Contributor
Hi All

I know this thread is quite old but having just spent all morning registering and changing permissions on folders, sharing, creating local users, etc from suggestions on this thread I found another solution which was to re-run the "Configure ArcGIS Server Account utility" - just enter the username and password (twice), click next / next (the directories should stay the same) and then Configure...

BINGO...!

for me I can now successfully publish and use layers and raster catalogs saved on a network share outside of our ArcGIS Server machines...

hope this helps others too

cheers

Tim
0 Kudos
BerendVeldkamp
Occasional Contributor II
I get the same error. I have an mxd with 1 featureclass and 3 related tables. The FC and 2 of the tables can be published, but the 3rd table gives the error "The StandaloneTable:'MyTable' in Map:'Layers' is invalid. The base table definition string "MYDATABASE.DBO.MyTable" is invalid.  Failure to access the DBMS server."

The FC and the table are created by a script, so I assume that the privileges are the same for all of them. I can't really find any other difference between the tables.

10.1 SP 1 is already installed, so that cannot be the reason. I Also re-ran the "Configure ArcGIS Server account tool", but that didn't help either.
Other than the error above, the logs don't show anything suspicious (loglevel is set to DEBUG)

Any ideas?

EDIT: I found out what was going wrong. On the server, I opened the generated msd file (rename to .zip), and extracted layers.xml. Inspecting the WorkspaceConnectionString values revealed that one of the tables still pointed to the database on my development machine.
Unfortunately it is no longer possible to publish an msd, so what I had to do was, instead of publishing the service, create a service definition (sd file). Renaming that to .7z allowed me to open it, and extract the included msd. Rename that to .zip, extract and alter layers.xml, and then repack/rename everything to the original values.
The modified sd file could now be published.
0 Kudos
F__BenGrieger
New Contributor II
I was having this same problem using 10.2 today when I stopped some services to do routine work on a long-standing, stable geodatabase. I just added a feature class to a dataset, and this error came up on the existing FC's (not the new one) when I restarted the services. I've never seen this error before although I've done this operation many times. In addition, numerous other layers suddenly would not load in ArcMap (bad connection handles).

Solution (for me at least): I restarted ArcMap/ArcCatalogue and everything returned to normal- no more errors and the services would start normally. I can't explain it.
RossBrewer
New Contributor III
Had same problem.  Fixed it by deleting the existing service and republishing the service under the same name.  You could probably just overwrite the old service, but building on a potentially corrupt service is risky to me.