Best practice for symbol drawing in Enterprise

03-04-2024 07:27 AM
ZachBodenner
MVP Regular Contributor

Hello,

I have a map that contains a web service with 70+ layers. I want to work on optimizing the draw speed and reduce the load put on the server when people use this map. Though there are a few exceptions, the majority of the symbols of point layers are shapes taken from the ESRI Optimized style, usually two or three symbol layers:

ZachBodenner_0-1709565850864.png

According to ESRI's documentation, symbols with multiple layers will draw slowly. For symbols like the one above, would it measurably improve server performance to convert them to .svgs? Has anyone tested out the performance of svgs vs a stacked point symbol like this? I've had success converting more complex symbols than the one above to svgs, but it seems like a two-layer symbol shouldn't be that hard to draw in an online environment?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

Can you set visibility scales such that not all things are visible.  Also can you remove some labels.  For example flying cloud airport area, street labels are repeated quite often. 

0 Kudos
ZachBodenner
MVP Regular Contributor

Frustratingly, my users insist on having the option of having everything visible. These layers default toggled off, but I nevertheless would like to improve the performance in any way I can.

0 Kudos