Caching Issue Since SP1 Upgrade

Jump to solution
11-14-2012 04:30 AM
JustinGreco
Occasional Contributor
Since upgrading 10.1 to SP1, I have been having issues with caching.  Occasionally it will work, but most times I get the following error:

Error executing tool.: Failed to cache extent: 2052500.000009 709999.999348 2157500.000078 809999.999388 at scale 2457600 ERROR 999999: Error executing function. The workspace is not connected. Failed to execute (Manage Map Cache Tiles).
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JustinGreco
Occasional Contributor
Since upgrading 10.1 to SP1, I have been having issues with caching.  Occasionally it will work, but most times I get the following error:

Error executing tool.: Failed to cache extent: 2052500.000009 709999.999348 2157500.000078 809999.999388 at scale 2457600 ERROR 999999: Error executing function. The workspace is not connected. Failed to execute (Manage Map Cache Tiles).

Was due to an issue with the path to my jobs directory, resolved the caching problem.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
JustinGreco
Occasional Contributor

Was due to an issue with the path to my jobs directory, resolved the caching problem.
0 Kudos
S_Ector
New Contributor
I'm getting the same error, but no reason is given. "Failed to cache extent: ..."  Anyone have any ideas?
0 Kudos
MeleKoneya
Occasional Contributor III
I am suddenly encountering the same issue on a Cache that I have rebuilt many times before.      Any luck with resolving this?

I also have a support request in to ESRI and will post if I get some resolution to this problem.

Thanks,

Mele
0 Kudos
MeleKoneya
After trying to delete the tiles with ArcGIS Server Tools in ArcCatalog, what I ended up doing was to stop the ArcGIS Server Windows Service and then I deleted the files manually within the offending scale level.

I could then recreate the tiles in the scale that was reported in the error message.

Not sure if this will work for others, but it was a work around for us.
ShaunWeston
Occasional Contributor
Have noticed the error Failed to cache extent: ..." coming up more and more. You want to make sure that there is enough RAM on the machine and the caching gp service is allocated enough processes. Also if you start caching and keep it running in the background, it may not completely finish, but then you can click on the Job Status bar, right click the job and click Fix Errors. Also you may need to go Manage All Tiles then start caching again with the create empty tiles option selected.
0 Kudos
MichaelRobb
I am unable to Import Cache to another existing cached map service.

Always receive Failed to import cache extent xxx

No matter what extent or area of interest used.

When attempted to use Export I would receive
Error 00840 : this is not a feature set.

All i need to do is merge two large caches... why is this difficult, does anyone have suggestions?
0 Kudos
MaxSquires
Occasional Contributor
I am unable to Import Cache to another existing cached map service.

does anyone have suggestions?

I would suggest ensuring that you have matching tiling schema (including source map data frame properties) between the two caches that you wish to merge. 

I would then check that the two servers from which you are attempting to move cache between have the necessary permission/user path combinations.

If those steps fail I would consider looking at using a windows/robocopy cache management solution where you could set switches for files that are newer, older, larger, or empty (based on the block size of your hard disk and file size of empty tiles).

Hope that helps.
0 Kudos