Distributed Collaboration - how to troubleshoot "Exporting item failed" errors

03-05-2024 08:30 AM
tmichael_wpjwa
New Contributor III

I have a distributed collaboration set up between ArcGIS Enterprise and ArcGIS Online.  The collaboration is currently synchronizing 16 feature layers as copies.

I am seeing frequent failures with the collaboration syncing one or more layers.  The Collaboration Sync Status area of /portal/sharing/rest currently looks like this:

tmichael_wpjwa_0-1709655062400.png

Digging in to one of the "completed_with_failures" records, I see messages like this:

[{
  "taskStatusId": "9f50f1eba2404a04a61df6f351163539",
  "results": {
    "succeededCount": 15,
    "failedCount": 1,
    "notProcessedCount": 0
  },
  "failed": [{
    "itemId": "823cac5574374d7d840e77eb67580ba8",
    "itemTitle": "Base_Parcel_Collaboration",
    "message": "Failed to export item '823cac5574374d7d840e77eb67580ba8' into a replication package : 'Exporting item failed'"
  }],
  "notProcessed": [],
  "created": 1709654574646
}]

Looking at the "completed_with_failures" errors, it appears that it is not always the same layer that causes the issue.  In many cases it's a parcel layer that isn't changing anyway.

I increased the log levels for both Portal and Server to DEBUG and found entries similar to this in the portal logs:

Failed to synchronize replica. Failed to synchronize a replica on hosted feature layer 'https://gis.<redacted>.com/server/rest/services/Distributed_Collaboration/Base_Parcel_Collaboration/FeatureServer'. {"resultUrl":"","replicaName":"","submissionTime":1709653058000,"lastUpdatedTime":1709653067000,"status":"Failed","error":{"code":408,"description":"SyncTools service error.(null)"}}. Failed to synchronize a replica on hosted feature layer 'https://gis.<redacted>.com/server/rest/services/Distributed_Collaboration/Base_Parcel_Collaboration/FeatureServer'. {"resultUrl":"","replicaName":"","submissionTime":1709653058000,"lastUpdatedTime":1709653067000,"status":"Failed","error":{"code":408,"description":"SyncTools service error.(null)"}}

So it looks like the sync service is having an issue with...something(?), but I'm not sure where else to look.  Hoping someone here has an idea on where to look / what to try to track down these intermittent errors.

Additional details:

ArcGIS Enterprise 11.1.0, fully patched

Geodatabase is running on SQL Server 2019 in AWS RDS

Collaboration is syncing 16 feature services as copies.  Each service contains a single layer from the geodatabase.

Sync issue is intermittent between layers, but the most frequent errors appear to be with the parcel layers.

Thanks!

3 Replies
ahargreaves_FW
Occasional Contributor III

Go check your portal logs. Perhaps you are exceeding the 1GB limit on collaborations that the doc fails to tells you about?

ahargreaves_FW_1-1709738589983.png

0 Kudos
tmichael_wpjwa
New Contributor III

I'm familiar with those errors, and have encountered them before when first learning about collaborations, but I'm not getting them in this case.  Appreciate the suggestion though!

0 Kudos
tmichael_wpjwa
New Contributor III

Since the original message I have also changed the following settings to see if any changed the behavior:

- In ArcGIS Server Manager, adjusted the shared instanced settings > number of shared instances per machine from 4 to 8.

- Increased the Maximum Instances of the SyncTools service to 6.

- Changed the services that are included in the error messages most often from shared to dedicated instances.

None of these changes seem to have made a difference.

0 Kudos