Egdbhealth with SQL Server - Connecting user (dbo) is not the owner of the eGDB (sde)

Jump to solution
06-27-2023 07:43 AM
ChrisTaylor2
New Contributor III

Hello,

I'm trying to run Egdbhealth against a SQL Server db we've set up to get a baseline before we start building it out more and evaluate migrating from Oracle. I'm admittedly new to SQL Server so this may be an easy question. The error I'm getting is:

Connecting user (dbo) is not the owner of the eGDB (sde). Please update your connection file so that you connect as the owner of the eGDB.

This is the way it looks from the interface:

ChrisTaylor2_0-1687876773924.png

I'm trying to connect using the sde user, not dbo, so I don't understand why the error message seems to be reversed. I've confirmed that the sde user has db_owner role membership on the database.

Thanks for your help.

Chris

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

I just checked mine and do not have any of the DB role memberships checked.

Do you happen to have the SDE user in the "SYSADMIN" fixed server role? (at the instance login level)

George_Thompson_0-1687888388399.png

--- George T.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
George_Thompson

I would remove the db_owner role from the SDE user on that specific geodatabase and re-test.

I think that permission is only needed to upgrade the enterprise geodatabase: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/data/geodatabases/manage-sql-server/privileges-sqlserv...

--- George T.
0 Kudos
ChrisTaylor2
New Contributor III

Hi George and thanks for your reply. I tried doing that and got the same result, unfortunately.

These are the current memberships for the sde user in case something else is off:

ChrisTaylor2_0-1687883605302.png

Thanks again.

Chris

0 Kudos
George_Thompson

I just checked mine and do not have any of the DB role memberships checked.

Do you happen to have the SDE user in the "SYSADMIN" fixed server role? (at the instance login level)

George_Thompson_0-1687888388399.png

--- George T.
ChrisTaylor2
New Contributor III

That did it! Thanks George. The DBA had temporarily give it sysadmin when I was trying to run the Create Database User tool and running into issues there. Once I revoked that I was able to run Egdbhealth.

Thanks again for your help.

Chris

0 Kudos
George_Thompson

Yep, that role is added sometimes to create the EGDB.

--- George T.
0 Kudos