Elastic Load Balancer versus Web Adapter?

Jump to solution
11-13-2012 11:09 AM
DaveHighness
Occasional Contributor II
We are configuring our 10.1 Server on the Amazon AWS and we want to enable our domain and  SSL and keep this thing as flexible as possible. We plan to use the server as a Web Server and as an ArcServer though we may move the Web Server to a separate server some day. We notice that the Web Adapter and the Elastic Load Balancer seem to do similar things. What makes the most sense?

We have mostly ArcServer Javascript API apps so it seems like the Web Adapter makes the most sense since we won't have cross domain issues with that. But, the Cloud Builder set us up with an Elastic Load Balancer. Do we need that?

What are the recomendations? I haven't found much on this in the help.

Thanks, Dave
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DaveHighness
We decided to build a little Windows network in the Virtual Private Cloud. Have that done. We are also going with the Web Adaptor since that makes life easier with our JS API applications. We could still use the Load Balancer with our ArcServer if we thought we needed to.

The only caveat to this design is we probably won't be able to use the ESRI ArcServer AMIs for additional instances if we need them as the server name is locked in to SITEHOST on those AMIs. I think we'd probably have to build up our own server by installing ArcServer on a standard Windows Server or Linux AMI.

Dave

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DaveHighness
Do I need to have an AWS Virtual Private Cloud for my separate instances to communicate with one another? How about if they are in the same Security Group? Is that good enough?

Dave
0 Kudos
DaveHighness
We decided to build a little Windows network in the Virtual Private Cloud. Have that done. We are also going with the Web Adaptor since that makes life easier with our JS API applications. We could still use the Load Balancer with our ArcServer if we thought we needed to.

The only caveat to this design is we probably won't be able to use the ESRI ArcServer AMIs for additional instances if we need them as the server name is locked in to SITEHOST on those AMIs. I think we'd probably have to build up our own server by installing ArcServer on a standard Windows Server or Linux AMI.

Dave
0 Kudos