Embedded WMS services within map service mxd's.

10-22-2012 01:56 PM
RoyceSimpson
Occasional Contributor III
At AGS 10.0x I have a map service that has an embedded WMS service in it.  The reason for this is because the WMS service is in a projection different than my data and other map services.  I put it in an mxd, re-project on the fly, and publish as a map service in the appropriate projection.

Now, at 10.1, I can't publish a map service with any embedded layers that happen to be map/wms services themselves.

I understand the performance issues in doing the whole embedded map service thing but at this point, doing that is the only way I can get certain data feeds into my web apps.

I thought I heard that "there is a workaround" for this at the UC this summer.  Is anyone aware of what it might be?

Conversely, I'm trying to get weather radar data from this site to overlay my map services, which are in state plane.  Does anyone know of a way to do that?

Thanks much,
-Royce
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
RoyceSimpson
bump to the top
0 Kudos
RickSipin
New Contributor

Royce,

Besides the explanation of 'could yield bad performance', did you ever get an explanation about why ESRI nixed this capability? I have a situation where I'd like to publish a map service which just does basic cartographic display control of embedded services at different scales so that the client doesn't have to inherit that responsibility.  If you ever found an approach which you think is a decent substitute, I'd love to hear your opinion. You can email me directly at rick.sipin@intrado.com.  Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Ramonvan_Bruggen
New Contributor
Anyone? We have the same problem! Really want to know a solution if possible...
0 Kudos
TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor
At 10.1, map service does not support any embedded service layer.
0 Kudos
RoyceSimpson
At 10.1, map service does not support any embedded service layer.

Thank you for the response.  Just to be clear... the words that I heard at the UC by esri staff, that... "there is a workaround" is false and there is no way, no how to get 10.1 do do this?
0 Kudos
KevinCopeland
New Contributor
Thank you for the response.  Just to be clear... the words that I heard at the UC by esri staff, that... "there is a workaround" is false and there is no way, no how to get 10.1 do do this?

ever gat an answer for this?
same issue at 10.0
0 Kudos
RandallWilliams
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Royce,

I tested real quick with this service: http://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/cgi-bin/wms/goes/east_ir.cgi?

This map can be added as an operational layer to an ArcGIS.com web map and projects properly.  The best way to do this would be to add these layers client side.

Performance is a big reason for preventing 'cascading' map services, but there are also questions of service owership and attribution to consider.

I'm unsure the context, but I can say that at least with Esri-powered WMS from ArcGIS for Server, at 10.3 any cached map service also has the WMTS capability enabled. In this case, since its coming from the MapServer product, I'd definitely just add it client side using an app built with the JS API.

At 10.0, this could be worked around by publishing a 'Classic' map service instead of an 'Optimized' map service. At 10.1+, all services are optimized.

0 Kudos