ERROR 001487: Failed to update the published service with the server-side data location.

Jump to solution
2 weeks ago
NathanHeickLACSD
Occasional Contributor III

I'm migrating from ArcGIS Enterprise 10.6.1 to 10.9.1 and we still need to publish some services from ArcMap to ArcGIS Server.  I'm having success publishing everything from ArcGIS Pro but having difficulty publishing from ArcMap.  I'm getting the error above using the same data stores that succeeded in publishing from ArcGIS Pro.

Any ideas?  I have yet to publish successfully from ArcMap even though it should technically work still at 10.9.1.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
NathanHeickLACSD

It appears that the issue was that the Microsoft ODBC 18 SQL Server driver was installed on the server.  Someone had recently installed it for some reason.  From what I read, it appears to be supported, but removing it and reinstalling the 17 version fixed the issue.  I suspect it was having issues accessing the data from the ArcMap runtime with the newer driver.  The 17 version was the one that came with the software when it came out.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
RyanUthoff

When you installed 10.9.1, did you select to install the ArcMap runtime during the installation process? I can't remember if it is selected to install by default or not.

0 Kudos
NathanHeickLACSD

Now, I don't know how to check.  I believe it is checked by default or that I had every plan to check it.  I know it is using the 10x publishing tools in the background.  It is able to package the service definition but it is failing when it's trying to swizzle the data sources from the user to the server connection strings.  For our data stores, the connection strings are the same for the user and server.  The logs seem to imply it might not be able to find the layer.

0 Kudos
NathanHeickLACSD

It appears that the issue was that the Microsoft ODBC 18 SQL Server driver was installed on the server.  Someone had recently installed it for some reason.  From what I read, it appears to be supported, but removing it and reinstalling the 17 version fixed the issue.  I suspect it was having issues accessing the data from the ArcMap runtime with the newer driver.  The 17 version was the one that came with the software when it came out.

MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Just out of curiosity what type of services still need to be published from ArcMap if publishing from ArcGIS Pro was also working?

0 Kudos
NathanHeickLACSD

Hi Michael,

We have some large raster catalogs that we will be moving to mosaic datasets in the near future and a custom flow trace that uses the geometric network.  So, things that ArcGIS Pro doesn't support.

0 Kudos