GlobalID and GUID

Jump to solution
11-10-2022 03:02 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello,

A while back I created a Field Map app which has related tables. I created a globalID in the initial feature layer and then created a GUID in the related tables that should match the globalID.

However, I have found while in the Enterprise, Map viewer and creating a join with the global ID and the GUID, not all the records in the table join with the feature layer. 

For those in the related table that didn't match up, I exported the initial feature layer and attempted to find the GUID in the spreadsheet, but couldn't find it.  I don't see how I can have this GUID's with no matching GlobalID.

Any ideas? Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Problem solved, I had a filter on the primary layer.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Scott_Tansley
MVP Regular Contributor

Hi,  I've always treated GlobalIDs like Object ID's in that they are for internal Esri Usage only and not for creating relationships on 'client' data. 

However, I've noted this:  https://support.esri.com/en/technical-article/000015422  There should be all the support information you need there.

Scott Tansley
https://www.linkedin.com/in/scotttansley/
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yes this is exactly what I did....To use related tables in a Relationship Class, the Global ID in the origin table can be used as the primary key, and the GUID field in the destination table can be used as the foreign key. Using this method, ArcGIS automatically copies the primary key (Global ID) into the foreign key (GUID) field.

I see someone else is having the same issue posted on ESRI.

Hey all, I have a workflow where I annually publish a map with updates reflecting new features from field maps, and we are working for the 2023 iteration of these maps now. Generally, I will go to the previous years map, export all of my features as shapefiles or FGDB files add them to the new map, and load them into my new database. However, my relationships are built on GlobalID to GUID relationships, and to not lose visibility on inspections, I will do "Preserve GlobalIDs" and assign the new Global ID field to the GUID field as the ESRI procedure states. I have done this successfully for a few years now, but we have run into an issue where we get a warning saying that to use "Preserve GlobalIDs", we have to have a unique index on the GlobalID field. I saw on some ESRI documentation that using the "Add Attribute Index" data management tool will fix this, but it has not in my case. Even after I run the tool I get the same error. Can someone help point me in the right direction? We use this workflow quite a bit and it will be difficult to make this work without a fix.   Thanks, Damon

Thank you

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Problem solved, I had a filter on the primary layer.

BugPie
by
Occasional Contributor III

@Anonymous User  Trying to understand the workflow to provide the child records (related tables) the globalID from the parent and I stumbled on this thread. Hoping you can give me a hint, feeling a little silly not able to figure this out. 

My parent geometry feature has a globalID field. My related tables have a guid field/type but are all empty. What is the best practice to provide the id from parent to child in this scenario prior to any publishing of the service. Should the relationship class be created before this guid is populated? 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello Colllin,

Are you doing this in ArcPRO? Yes, use the geoprocessing tool create relationship. I do believe this is how it gets populated.  Two great videos that help to explain. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0W6X6ovi_Q

https://mediaspace.esri.com/media/t/1_pnnrcvlp

Annette

BugPie
by
Occasional Contributor III

Yep, in PRO. Thanks for the links, these will get me what I am looking for. Thanks for your kind response, I appreciate it. 

Cheers! 

0 Kudos